James Dixon and Sons - Info wanted.

Hiya. Me and my partner have just bought our 1st place together. It is in Cornish Place. The old factory of James Dixon & sons. It was converted into apartments 4 yrs ago. We are both very interested to find out more about the history of the building and we would love to acquire some original James Dixon & sons silverware so we can bring it 'home'. If anyone one has any old pictures of Cornish Place or any info, please let me know. Thanks Jen x x x

hi,ive got two pieces of James Dixon,epbm,one i think is a milk jug,and the other a sugar bowl (with two handles),if you still looking for pieces then drop me a line,,im wanting £30 for the two, many thanks,tom

Hello! after registering on this site, i'm finally ready to ask the question i have in mind.

I found what looks to be an old foodwarmer -type lid for a plate... like the kind they utilize on the railways in the past. Nothing like cold eggs and toast in the morning - apparently this may prevent it?

Established that the hallmark is James Dixon; EP with the following letter over all the hallmark symbols. Y2654L

Would appreciate any assistance on how to determine how old this silverplate is... in the meantime I'll continue using it to keep my morning eggs warm...

This sounds like a cloche or domed plate cover, as still used in top hotels and some gourmet restauants. Now made in stainless steel of course. I doubt that it will be able to be dated unless someone has an archival Dixon's catalogue and can trace the reference number that you have.

I guess they were made more or less unchanged from about 1885 until 1935. Interesting to me would be its condition, how much plate there is left on it and what the mounts are like (ribbon or bead etc.) This kind of thing was made by many manufacturers in Sheffield and Birmingham but strangely James Dixons are regarded with affection by many of us probably because they persevered in business long after others had gone to the wall.

Anyway are you really in Vancouver, or just a relative of the Captain from Kings Lynn ?

Bob.

Please tell me about a teapot my son purchased recently marked EPBM 2606 6 75 and underneath James Dixon Sheffield England.

I think it's fair to say that in the late 19th. and early20th.C. Britannia Metal based holloware was regarded as the poor man's plate. It was cheaper and easier to produce than a nickel-silver body but at the same time could be engraved and shaped more elaborately which suited the taste of the times.

It could be that Dixons put a bit more silver on than others and maybe used ivory finials and handle stops. Where the plate will have worn off it will show dark grey or black showing through. At antique fairs etc. they can be usually quite dented because it is such a soft metal.

Bob.

I think it's fair to say that in the late 19th. and early20th.C. Britannia Metal based holloware was regarded as the poor man's plate. It was cheaper and easier to produce than a nickel-silver body but at the same time could be engraved and shaped more elaborately which suited the taste of the times.

It could be that Dixons put a bit more silver on than others and maybe used ivory finials and handle stops. Where the plate will have worn off it will show dark grey or black showing through. At antique fairs etc. they can be usually quite dented because it is such a soft metal.

Bob.

Thanks Bob.The teapot was purchased for $A20 from an opportunity shop in Melbourne two months ago.Would you know the current value and what the 2606 6 75 mean?Is this a 6 cup teapot? Is 75 the year of manufacture? If so, what year?:help:

Dear ???? (elone) In the U.K. your teapot would have no value at all as it has no precious metal intrinsic value. As for down-under I dare say there are people wanting a bit of old England.

I can't help you with the series of numbers, they are probably catalogue numbers or even a batch number. As for dating, we can usually only go on the body shape or style of decorative engraving and relate it to what was in vogue at the time. Many shapes went unaltered for decades particularly the straight sided 'Hotel Ware' which were produced in silver and EPNS right up to the start of WWII and in some cases beyond.

I hope I don't sound too dismissive ! I'm sure if I was in Oz and saw a James Dixon teapot I would say "Look what I've Found !!"

Bob.

Dear ???? (elone) In the U.K. your teapot would have no value at all as it has no precious metal intrinsic value. As for down-under I dare say there are people wanting a bit of old England.

I can't help you with the series of numbers, they are probably catalogue numbers or even a batch number. As for dating, we can usually only go on the body shape or style of decorative engraving and relate it to what was in vogue at the time. Many shapes went unaltered for decades particularly the straight sided 'Hotel Ware' which were produced in silver and EPNS right up to the start of WWII and in some cases beyond.

I hope I don't sound too dismissive ! I'm sure if I was in Oz and saw a James Dixon teapot I would say "Look what I've Found !!"

Bob.

Thanks Bob for your invaluable help. Well, we live and learn. I must admit that we got quite excited when we found the teapot, especially when we saw the markings not realizing that EPBM was metal.

I have several silver holloware marked EPNS pre-dating WW11 and also flatware and crockery. I'll have to get them valued: hopefully they're worth more than EPBM.

After searching through my fathers belongings I have found an old trade catalogue entitled James Dixon & Sons Silversmiths Sheffield. The contents are for pieces dated 1890-1910 but no date on the actual catalogue. A friend has suggested we break the catalogue up & mount each page in a frame for a hallway/kitchen etc but I dont want to do this if the catalogue is valuable or of historical importance. Total number of pages 361. Does anyone have any information on this hard back book or details where I could take it too for more info?

Hi LolaBish - welcome to the Forum! I'm not familiar with the catalogue, but a quick search on the "ABEBooks" secondhand books website brought up this book dated 1910 that seems similar (maybe the same?) and is being offered by an antiquarian bookseller in Amsterdam at £350.

Edited by hillsbro
Speling....

That's an interesting find Hilsbro, it just shows what a value these old catalogues have !

Lola will be tempted to put it up for sale but the noble thing to do would be to offer it to the Central Library Archive Dept on Surrey Street.

But Lola, it would be a shame to split it just for decoration although I can see the temptation. If it were mine I would just keep it for old times sake but would my son or grandson be interested in it ? I doubt it !!

Now if it were scanned and put on line !! What a resource that would be !!

I second Hilsbro.. welcome Lola.

Bob.

Hi Bob - yes, the Local Studies Library or Sheffield Archives might like to have the catalogue, though it may well be that they already have a copy. The bookseller's price might be a little "optimistic" but it is clearly a highly collectable item. I quite agree that it would be a shame to dismember the book. I have occasionally sold similar items via eBay (such as a bound volume of The Engineer magazine of 1898, and an 1890s stamp catalogue). The advantage of this is that they go to people who really value them (unlike, perhaps, my trendy young grandchildren...)..:|