Recommendations for Garden Centres / Nurseries / Online Gardening Resources

I agree with MaureenHB about Glapwell nurseries, Bolsover road, Chesterfield..

Went last week got loads of plants all decent prices. Got a Fuschia for £1.95 and Laverteria (is that how you spell it?) for £3.50.

I'll third that.

It took me a while to find out about Glapwell nurseries (no website i'm afraid) but now that I have, I wont go anywhere else.

It's one of those great, but rare, cheap and cheerful nurseries that only sells plants, landscaping materials and a few pots. They have a great range and are much cheaper than the other garden centres around here, at least the half price.

Can anyone recommend a good nursery where we can buy raspberry cane plants? We want to get some planted before the end of the month.

one of my gardening friends got some from horsfields nursery, in silkstone the other day, yellow, red, autumn and summer she said they had quite a few different varieites. their website is http://www.pothousehamlet.co.uk

Thanks - that sounds very promising. Several nurseries that I phoned over the weekend said their raspberry canes were being delivered at the end of October, which was rather late for what we wanted.

Hello

Can anyone recommend a nursery for fruit trees - my mum and dad have asked for apple/pear/blackberry for christmas! I have seen some to order over the internet, but i would rather see them "in the flesh" before I buy them. Anywhere in the Sheffield/Doncaster area would be fine.

Thanks

Anita

Hello

Can anyone recommend a nursery for fruit trees -

AAAA - I think I heard about this lot from Pickering on the radio or Gardener's World - I've bookmarked their website for when I have room for an orchard ( I have a dream...!). They seem to have an apple for every possible occasion. It would be really cool to get them a heritage variety

http://www.rvroger.co.uk/

A bit more locally - Burncross Nursuries near Chapeltown have fruit trees. One had an apple on it that I wanted to pick when I was there last time! And Loxley Nursuries have fruit trees too.

What a lovely Christmas present!

Hi AAAA.

Horsfields nursery in silkstone have lots of fruit trees in pots, we got an apple the other week £19 which i thought was pretty good, they had about 30 or so varities, I saw some pears too but not sure what type.

From Sheffield it's exit 37 of the M1 so not too far away.

Has anyone tried this one? alanromans .com

The seeds all seem to be 50p, I can't work out if it's too good to be true!

Has anyone tried this one? alanromans .com

The seeds all seem to be 50p, I can't work out if it's too good to be true!

Some are 80p :) They are excellent quality. I have used them for veg and flowers, and the seeds have always come up. They save money by not printing the packaging, so you just pull any instructions you might want off their very comprehensive website.

They also provided our lovely blue spuds last year. Highly recommended!

I'd recommend

Fernleigh @ Dronfield for Veg plants

Wards for all round / one stop shop stuff

and if you fancy a trip further a field - Fryers Nursery in Knutsford, Cheshire-especially at Xmas

realseeds.co.uk have a nice selection of seeds and also have instructions on how to save your own for next season

The forum won't let me post links, but Shoot Gardening and Crocus both have really good databases of plants and useful articles and info. Shoot also does this thing where you can list all the plants in your own garden and they'll send you monthly tips on pruning etc. (You have to subscribe for that though).