Recommendations for Garden Centres / Nurseries / Online Gardening Resources

This thread is for forummers to recommend their favourite local garden centre or nursery.

I don't drive, so it's rare that I get to take a trip out to a garden centre (other than B&Q!) but when I do, I like Markham Grange in Brodsworth, Doncaster. It's a bit of a drive from Sheffield but well worth it - as well as the main nursery, there's a large pet shop and a branch of Viscum Water Gardens (pond supplies stockist) on site.

I'm familar with Markham Grange because I lived in Doncaster for three years, and I don't really know which are the best garden centres in Sheffield yet, so I'm looking forward to hearing your top tip! :D

The Herb Garden, near Pilsley, Chesterfield.

Handley Nurseries, nr Eckington.

I would have to recommend the Nursery in Old Brampton (Chesterfield) - the are only small but have a great range of plants and they are cheap as chips :)

I like Rhinegold out past Wisewood Cemetery. It's a huge place, selling gifts as well as plants and garden sundries. Loxley Nurseries, nearby, always seemed to be in a state of chaos and I could never find anything I wanted there but I called in a few weeks ago and it's transformed! I found plants there that Rhinegold didn't have and they seem to concentrate more on the garden-based stuff, rather than scented candles! So between them I reckon you could get everything you wanted!

DUKERIES,near worksop. This is a very good and large garden centre.

WENTWORTH, garden centre. Who also have a craft fayre every month.

I can reccommend New Leaf garden centre on dyche Lane Sheffield S8 on the road to Coal Aston

The guy who sits in the hut at High Peak Garden Centre is extremely helpful and knowledgeable, not to mention very enthusiastic.

They have a good selection as well, although I don't claim to be an expert.

If you're not buying anything too heavy, you could always get the train to Bamford.

Thanks for the recommendations guys - I've stuck this so that others can add their favourite gardening and allotment sites too :thumbsup:

I use the BBC gardening pages a lot (linky here ) - the plant finder is fab :)