Is this the right or wrong time to buy a house?

Tony, I agree. What is it with people that dont understand the concept of regional impacts. OK the south may see a slowdown or even a crash, significant or otherwise, doesnt necessarily mean anything to other regions in the UK, that also explodes down to inner city regions.

Not sure people have the brain power capable of working this out ! no offence anyone......:P

Do people want to see a crash? Its this sort of scaremongering that can damage the market, nothing to do with economics. Its very much like the stock exchange, word of mouth doomsayers can easily damage an equity, get a grip guys.

All it takes is people who own substantial portfolios to see this board, are not capable of understanding the reality, they get scared and sell-up leading to a dip in the market. Hey presto you get a decline.....

Do people actually realise this is what happens!

If there is anyone contributing negatives to this board who owns a property in sheffield I strongly advise you to think again, it could easily hurt your wallet due to your very own comments, be very careful.

Originally posted by neilaw

Tony, I agree. What is it with people that dont understand the concept of regional impacts. OK the south may see a slowdown or even a crash, significant or otherwise, doesnt necessarily mean anything to other regions in the UK, that also explodes down to inner city regions.

Not sure people have the brain power capable of working this out ! no offence anyone......:P

Do people want to see a crash? Its this sort of scaremongering that can damage the market, nothing to do with economics. Its very much like the stock exchange, word of mouth doomsayers can easily damage an equity, get a grip guys.

All it takes is people who own substantial portfolios to see this board, are not capable of understanding the reality, they get scared and sell-up leading to a dip in the market. Hey presto you get a decline.....

Do people actually realise this is what happens!

If there is anyone contributing negatives to this board who owns a property in sheffield I strongly advise you to think again, it could easily hurt your wallet due to your very own comments, be very careful.

Is that why everyone is bigging the market up?

Oh, I see... now.

Gosh, I thought for a second that my expensive education was a waste of time.

This is a discussion board is it not? That means things are discussed and all areas, speculative or otherwise, positive or negative, are covered.

Total agreement is often the result of a lack of communication.

Not sure people have the brain power capable of working this out ! no offence anyone......:P (used with some irony)

The bigger something is, the harder it falls. Equilibrium is the most stable state. The laws of physics determine how big a bubble can get before it bursts of its own accord but a child knows not to blow too hard.

Now I don't know if I agree with Tony or not, time will determine who is right. But I do value his remarks as he seems to know what he is talking about and I'm certainly not going to question his intellect.

In fact, a small proportion of the quote above has a significant validity. But...

If people here have their opinions they have the right to express them, whatever their reasons are for doing so. You may disagree with them but it is arrogant (-a very poor quality, and in my opinion*, a sign that someone lacks the intelligence to strategise appropriately) to publicly comment on someone's brain power.

*at the risk of sounding hypocritical.

since most of the people who own a property here find themselves with massive positive equity it will have no impact on their pockets if the market crashes, but will have an impact in bringer the next step of the housing market a bit closer.

Unless someone has bought very recently, or owns property as an investment (in addition to a house to live in) then they should welcome a slow down in the housing market.

• 3 weeks later...

was anyone at the afternoon session of Jenkinsons auction yesterday afternoon?

although some properties sold well, I can't ever remember so many properties not reaching reserve. Some didn't even get bids.

houses that would have sold for 120k+ before the summer weren't getting past 85k.

also there were 62 lots - the most I can ever remember. This would suggest that landlords/investors are selling rather than buying at the moment.

Do they know something we dont'? Or are they just being kind, thinking that they have made enough and its time someone else had a go?

ps. if I start a panic and am personally responsible for the start of a crash, I apologise in advance.

I've noticed on our road and the surrounding areas, a lot of properties have been on the market since the start of the summer and still not sold (only last year they were being sold within days). However, I'm not worried that prices are suddenly going to crash in Sheffield, I don't think it will happen. They may level off for a period.