Travel advice needed - please help.

Me and a friend want to go to Australia to ultimately travel, but work as well to keep us in money. We have very little to start with and have no idea what financial situation we need to be in in order to get going. Air fares apart, what kind of money do you need in order to get started? We'd both do anything work wise, but need to know about visa's etc etc and what kind of accomadation is cheapest etc etc.

ANY advice would be greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

Apply for a working holiday visa, see here

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/index.htm

All the info you require is probably on the above website with what conditions are attached to your visa etc. Although, a friend of mine did thise a while back and I'm sure she had to have £2000 in her account before they would give her entry clearance. Contact the Australia embassy in London for further info if you can't get the relevant info on the above website.

As for accommodation, hostels are your best bet so have a gander here

http://www.hostelword.com

Apply for a working holiday visa, see here

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/index.htm

All the info you require is probably on the above website with what conditions are attached to your visa etc. Although, a friend of mine did thise a while back and I'm sure she had to have £2000 in her account before they would give her entry clearance. Contact the Australia embassy in London for further info if you can't get the relevant info on the above website.

As for accommodation, hostels are your best bet so have a gander here

http://www.hostelword.com

Similar sort of thing apply to america?

I'm not sure to be honest as I've never really looked into it. I guess it would be more or less the same, if not a little stricter. Have a gander on their immigration website http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/index.htm

Further info about my friend, she didn't have the £2000 at the time of her interview at the Australian embassy so she got her parents to dump the money in her account about a month before the interview and gave the money back once her visa was granted. A bit sneaky, but might worth considering lol.

I doubt that there is any way you will get entry to the US if you intend to do any kind of work whatsoever. You can visit the US for 3 months without any hassle provided you have some booked accomodation and look like you will support yourself. If you have a return ticket that is for 2 weeks time and you have some money and credit cards then you don't get a second glance (unless you were born in Tripoli!). If you then stay longer and change your return flight then that is fine. If you turn up with a return flight booked in 3 months time then they will want to know what sort of work you do where you can have this length of holiday and where your funds are coming from.

I doubt that there is any way you will get entry to the US if you intend to do any kind of work whatsoever. You can visit the US for 3 months without any hassle provided you have some booked accomodation and look like you will support yourself. If you have a return ticket that is for 2 weeks time and you have some money and credit cards then you don't get a second glance (unless you were born in Tripoli!). If you then stay longer and change your return flight then that is fine. If you turn up with a return flight booked in 3 months time then they will want to know what sort of work you do where you can have this length of holiday and where your funds are coming from.

Cheers! Lets say for example i stayed there for 3 months can i apply for a visa whilst there?

if your going to sydney ans staying there for a few months (the best place in Oz to get work) dont stay in a hostel, get a flat/apartment - my mates stayed in one of these, quality flat and a fraction of the cost of staying in a hostel.

workwise, there is loads and loads of options, if your willing to graft, get work on a building site and watch the money come rolling in!!!

Cheers! Lets say for example i stayed there for 3 months can i apply for a visa whilst there?

You would have to check with them (usually at £1 a minute for their helpline) but I doubt it. If you get a visa waiver and then don't leave when you are supposed to then it makes life harder for you the next time you try to enter. The system works by leaving a green bit of card in your passport which you hand in when you leave the country. If you try to leave after you are supposed to then you won't be able to get entry easily the next time. I have left without handing in this card twice and each time I got the third degree on my next entry. However, because I have a wife and family in the UK, then I must have left in good time, and their system must just be at fault, so they let me in again.

I wouldn't want to encourage anyone to break US law, but .... If I wanted to stay and work illegally in the US then I would go there looking like I was staying for a weeks holiday. I would have a return ticket and somewhere to stay and would have funds for that week and a convincing story. If I then decided to stay illegally and work, my concern would be that I would not be allowed in again. This will happen if you leave the country by a method which means you hand in your green slip from your passport. I have twice left the country by methods where I didn't hand this back. If you leave without handing in this slip then you will get stopped and quizzed next time and you just tell them you left on foot via Canada (eg. at Niagra) and they must have lost your slip.