Travel advice needed - please help.

You would have to check with them (usually at £1 a minute for their helpline) but I doubt it. If you get a visa waiver and then don't leave when you are supposed to then it makes life harder for you the next time you try to enter. The system works by leaving a green bit of card in your passport which you hand in when you leave the country. If you try to leave after you are supposed to then you won't be able to get entry easily the next time. I have left without handing in this card twice and each time I got the third degree on my next entry. However, because I have a wife and family in the UK, then I must have left in good time, and their system must just be at fault, so they let me in again.

I wouldn't want to encourage anyone to break US law, but .... If I wanted to stay and work illegally in the US then I would go there looking like I was staying for a weeks holiday. I would have a return ticket and somewhere to stay and would have funds for that week and a convincing story. If I then decided to stay illegally and work, my concern would be that I would not be allowed in again. This will happen if you leave the country by a method which means you hand in your green slip from your passport. I have twice left the country by methods where I didn't hand this back. If you leave without handing in this slip then you will get stopped and quizzed next time and you just tell them you left on foot via Canada (eg. at Niagra) and they must have lost your slip.

Cheers mate, your a star! :D

You would have to check with them (usually at £1 a minute for their helpline) but I doubt it. If you get a visa waiver and then don't leave when you are supposed to then it makes life harder for you the next time you try to enter. The system works by leaving a green bit of card in your passport which you hand in when you leave the country. If you try to leave after you are supposed to then you won't be able to get entry easily the next time. I have left without handing in this card twice and each time I got the third degree on my next entry. However, because I have a wife and family in the UK, then I must have left in good time, and their system must just be at fault, so they let me in again.

I wouldn't want to encourage anyone to break US law, but .... If I wanted to stay and work illegally in the US then I would go there looking like I was staying for a weeks holiday. I would have a return ticket and somewhere to stay and would have funds for that week and a convincing story. If I then decided to stay illegally and work, my concern would be that I would not be allowed in again. This will happen if you leave the country by a method which means you hand in your green slip from your passport. I have twice left the country by methods where I didn't hand this back. If you leave without handing in this slip then you will get stopped and quizzed next time and you just tell them you left on foot via Canada (eg. at Niagra) and they must have lost your slip.

in Oz there is always the chance to get cash in hand work, not right i know but there is no denying its widely available. When i was in Oz i only had a 3 month travel visa so i couldnt work, all my mates were there for a year so they all had full working visas, but i did get offered loads of jobs cash in hand - not that i needed it, i was on a 3 month hoiday!! i stuck to the beach :)

in Oz there is always the chance to get cash in hand work, not right i know but there is no denying its widely available. When i was in Oz i only had a 3 month travel visa so i couldnt work, all my mates were there for a year so they all had full working visas, but i did get offered loads of jobs cash in hand - not that i needed it, i was on a 3 month hoiday!! i stuck to the beach :)

I have never been to Australia but from what I hear they are far more helpful towards people who want to visit and work which must be at least partly because so many of their young people do the same. If I was choosing beween the US and Australia there would be no contest and Australia would win hands down. Aside from anything else, the US is the kind of place you can get to more easily in the future and which you are more likley to visit with work at some time.

Further info about my friend, she didn't have the £2000 at the time of her interview at the Australian embassy so she got her parents to dump the money in her account about a month before the interview and gave the money back once her visa was granted. A bit sneaky, but might worth considering lol.

When I was doing my 12 month working VISA application for Australia I wasn't asked at any point to prove how much money I had saved up :confused:. I didn't have to attend an interview either :confused: I did it all online. The embassy emailed some queries through and a guy was waiting for us too turn up when we arrived in Sydney, VISA was put in passport, job done.