Would anyone be interested in a Forum Walking Group?

Just a brief note after reading the past few posts. I've been on walks where there have been all sorts of people, including a woman with two children and a pushchair, blind or partially sighted people, old and young. The walk is great, but there is also the interaction between people - we don't all have to go out in homogenous groups. I enjoyed talking to a partially sighted bloke, and quite fancied the woman with two kids. Hopefully when the group is up and running like minded people can choose which walks to do, which are suitable for kids, which are more strenuous, which end at a pub/bus stop/car park. The ideal is that there should be something for everyone - what will make that a reality is if enough different people contribute

I'm very surprised at the intolerance going on on this thread :suspect:

How would this sort of format grab people?.....

Meet at suitable venue (eg, Ramblers Inn, Edale)

Faff about with introductions etc :D

Split into 2 groups for easy/low level ramble & harder/higher level hill walk

Walk

Meet back at pub :D

Anybody who wants to meet up for the social aspect only can do - eg, a family could meet at the pub, kids & mum stop at pub, dad & teens join us for walk (it's only an example so don't start :suspect: )

Anybody who has issues with other group members (kids, dogs, deaf people, tall people, redheads, southerners etc :rolleyes: ) can do their own thing :P

How does that suit? :D

Necessary equipment, weather reports, transport issues can be discussed online here before the event, but anybody's personal safety is their own concern - within reason.

Anybody choosing to walk as a group stays as a group - as the unwritten rules of walking dictate.

And don't anybody turn up in trainers and expect to do hillwalking :P

I hadn't given a thought to the company of children on the walk ... it hadnt occurred to me.

I don't think I would really mind children coming because they should be looked after by there parents ... although I agree things could get chaotic and noisey.

I was more concerned with my trying to keep up with a slim and trim twenty year old, when I like to stroll along and enjoy the view, with the odd stop for a cup of tea and flapjack!

Errm, give them the wrong directions?

This is beginning to sound like inclusivity angst, good grief if some people want a child exclusive walk why ever not? The world is full of things not available to all, or not suitable for all and why should it be? Next we will being told that Equal Opps Legislation applies because it's done through a forum and we will all get done for not allowing little Phillipa and young Henry along, what a load of old ********

Equally for those who want a kiddy fest, fine, push chairs united - just let us know when it is I can avoid the area :o

You've got me, I'm just a wishy-washy liberal at heart :rolleyes:

So you tell them your turning right, whereas in fact you turn left. Mmmm maybe a little more work needed on that one.

The meetings are set up on a public forum and take place on public land, who are you to say who can or can't walk there.

Personally I wouldn't want to inflict my kids on the anti-child brigade and vici-versa; though I would love to come for a child-free walk with you as I reckon your attempts at mis-direction could prove endlessly entertaining. Unfortunately the chances of me being allowed to, are next to nil. :|

You've got me, I'm just a wishy-washy liberal at heart :rolleyes:

So you tell them your turning right, whereas in fact you turn left. Mmmm maybe a little more work needed on that one.

The meetings are set up on a public forum and take place on public land, who are you to say who can or can't walk there.

Personally I wouldn't want to inflict my kids on the anti-child brigade and vici-versa; though I would love to come for a child-free walk with you as I reckon your attempts at mis-direction could prove endlessly entertaining. Unfortunately the chances of me being allowed to, are next to nil. :|

Funnily enough I think we are saying the same thing, ie those who want a mixed group fine, those who want seperate ones fine, live and let live. It's when the PC brigade start on about everything being open to everyone as some divine right and so we should therefore embrace a group with kids whether we want to or not that I get :mad:

And of course if these children are the progeny of the PC brigade they will be busy "exploring their inner self" by never being controlled! Group hug anyone?

PS not accusing you of this :)

I knew a few would get a little huffy. If anyone wants to bring along little Tarquin and Jemima for a afternoon toddle, feel free, of course. Just as others will feel equally free to arrange alternative plans.

Why a suggestion that some may prefer the company of fellow adults while contemplating the peace of the Peaks should result in an accusation of intolerance is beyond me.

I knew a few would get a little huffy. If anyone wants to bring along little Tarquin and Jemima for a afternoon toddle, feel free, of course. Just as others will feel equally free to arrange alternative plans.

Why a suggestion that some may prefer the company of fellow adults while contemplating the peace of the Peaks should result in an accusation of intolerance is beyond me.

Well quite, I think it's called the Liberal Heresy :hihi: any deviation from which is the cause for much wailing and gnashing of teath.

...I was more concerned with my trying to keep up with a slim and trim twenty year old, when I like to stroll along and enjoy the view, with the odd stop for a cup of tea and flapjack!

I'm with you on this. I certainly won't be competing for any trecking competititions. I haven't been out in the Peak District for ages; I intend to take my time to enjoy it - complete with flapjack (though I prefer coffee) :) .

And of course if these children are the progeny of the PC brigade they will be busy "exploring their inner self" by never being controlled! Group hug anyone?

:)

:hihi: Sheer poetry :hihi: Laughed for ages at this - thanks :hihi:

:thumbsup:

I would join a walking group!

I don't think it has done. As far as I can see, everybody has been saying much the same thing.