Sheffield Guitarists

About 28 years ago i used to play with a guitarist called Alistair Mckinnon who played with Frank White years ago. unfortunately he died from smoking while asleep, frank did a tribute to him in a pub on london road, if i remember right the hermitage but i may be wrong, i did hear dont know if it is true that gibson built their first twin neck guitar for frank white

mel

http://www.melrandall.com

No they didn't build it for him. Frank saw one in the early 60s and to quote Frank "It's cool, I need one of them" he ordered it from Wilson Peck and had to wait months and months for delivery, but when it arrived, I believe it was the first Gibson Doubleneck in England. Phil Brodie's got it now. Towards the end of Frank owning it, it was in a bit of a state, the 12 string neck had frets missing and Frank used to use it to hold his plectrums. We used to joke that it was the most expensive pick holder in the world!

Edited by deedar

In the sixties Sheffield had some great guitar players..Frank White, Dave Hawley, Dave Hopper, Phil Crooks, Frank Miles, George Gill, Roy Barber, Roy Ledger, Mick Grimes, Peter York, Plus others, who's names I can't remember.. ..where are they now are they still playing ?

Hi Timbuck,

Phil Crookes is my Dads half brother.The last I heard about him from the family is that he is living in the USA. Still in the music business

Cal.

anyone know where Roy Ledger is these days ?

hi hohenloher

I go to this town every year and have been15 times,seen this guy playing in the street never realizing it was george gill.The people said he was english and they think fondly of him in fact i believe they had a collection to help him over his illness,When I went last year they said he was much better but I will telephone my friends on the town council and see how his condition is and will post it on here.Correct me if i'm wrong but the town is ohringen in hohenlohe.

anyone know where Roy Ledger is these days ?
Dronfield.

I can confirm george gill is on the mend and his two daughters from france and australia have been to see him.If anyone is interested the local newspaper the hohenlohe zietung ran an article on him on november the28th and can be read on the net in german only,and now I have been incontact are going to run another one shortly.I have passed good wishes on from his friends in england and I will visit him next year.

george gill is moving to a small apartment which his friends in ohringen have found for him,unfortately at this point in time george cannot speak but his friend can take a message,anyone wishing to contact him can pm me Ihave a phone no for him.

Calling all Frank White fans!!

You just gotta see this video. It is glorious

http://cryinggame.co.uk/page22/page5/files/page5-1007-pop.html

This was the first "Double Arm" guitar in the country. When Frank tried to import it from The States, HM Customs delayed it by months 'cause they didn't know exactly what it was!! (pratts)

Tried to open that link but it asks me to download something I already have on my pooter and then dosen't work anyway.

Any suggestions?

Played at a Jam night with Russ Dennet (ex Human League) last week, Hayden Oldham our guitarist in 60s band the 'Drumbeats' was in the pub.Hayden is back in the UK now after spending time in India but Ian the original singer with the Drmbeats is off to the Phillipines soon to retire there.

I've still got my Blue/silver Lame' suit from way back in 63, it won't button up now of course.

I dropped out of the sheffield scene in 66 and joined the army where I became a full time musician in the regimental band (24/7 job in those days) playing Bass guitar in the Rock Band and Dance Band and Saxophone in the Regimental Band from which I attended a course at the Royal Military School of Music (Knellar Hall). On leaving the army the Sheffield music scene had changed, gone were most of the pubs, dance venues, church halls, youth clubs etc it was by then mainly down to the cursed but money making venues of the WMC circuit.

See Roy Ledger & Ron Blyth every now and then in Dronfield but not many others.

John Swift ex Drumbeat, ex 23916261 Bandsman 1 Y&L Rgmt

Calling all Frank White fans!!

You just gotta see this video. It is glorious

http://cryinggame.co.uk/page22/page5/files/page5-1007-pop.html

This was the first "Double Arm" guitar in the country. When Frank tried to import it from The States, HM Customs delayed it by months 'cause they didn't know exactly what it was!! (pratts)

Great to see old footage of Frank with his double neck although Frank was just miming to Big Jim Sullivan's guitar parts on that clip.

Great to see old footage of Frank with his double neck although Frank was just miming to Big Jim Sullivan's guitar parts on that clip.

Yeah - Big Jim and Little Jim if I remember rightly