Sheffield Guitarists

That's right.He'd just left the Mac and came along and jammed with Readhead Yorke a Brighton band featuring Sheffielder Pete Warren.That was about May 1970.

Is Karl Heard still knocking around Sheffield. He used to play the jolly buffer about 15 years ago?

In the sixties Sheffield had some great guitar players..Frank White, Dave Hawley, Dave Hopper, Phil Crooks, Frank Miles, George Gill, Roy Barber, Roy Ledger, Mick Grimes, Peter York, Plus others, who's names I can't remember.. ..where are they now are they still playing ?

I visited Sheffield last week..and met up with some of my old mates..including "Bobby Knutt"...we went to the Pheasant at Lane Top and had a few lagers together and reminised over the old days ( The Pheasant is not the same as I remembered it) ..."Neil Bridges" who was an original member of the "Whirwinds" brought along a photo album and it was full of pic's of the band from the old days, Johnny Ryder, Dave Hawley, Lynne and Jeanie, Frank White, Pat Lesley (Georga), and many others were in it....... I was informed that "Dave Hawley" past away about a month ago after a long illness...There is going to be a charity night in his memory at The Park and Arberthorn Club on the 12th April...Admission £5 on the door..proceeds are going to a local hostpital.

Originally posted by RiffRaff

Agree with all that's been said about Frank White, but does everybody realise what a wealth of other guitarist talent there is around Sheffield these days?

Guitarists such as Harris Nixon (Carnival and Sour Mash), Ian and JJ from Mag 7 spring to mind, as well as other bands that are on the pub circuit locally.

Check out the jam sessions at The Woodseats pub any Sunday afternoon - no entry fee, the muso's do it for bugger-all and everybody has a great time as well. [/quote No doubt about it Frank W hite is a brilliant guitarist, but how long is this debate going to go on without a mention for Phil Brodieanother one of sheffield,s greats.

Phil was a phenominal guitarist - amongst the best - where is he now?

Saw Frank playing in The Peace Gardens on Saturday, 25 Jul '09, at "The Sheffield Festival". He looks very well although one or two things he said suggested he has been a bit off for a while. Crackin' version of "One night with you"

I've posted a few fotos

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bushbaby387/

Phil is still very well and still playing as good as he ever did. He goes out as the three piece Phil Brodie Band with Neil Wathey on drums and Gerry Scanlon on Bass. Sometimes one of his sons gets up and plays as well I believe.

Check the gig guides, or his website.

http://www.philbrodieband.com/

Chris

Has anyone heard anything of Dave Green an excellent Bass guitarist who played in numerous bands in the sixties?...Roy my partner is keen to make contact with him.

Update on some of the other names mentioned Roy Barber and Dave cannon died some time ago and george Gill was living in France the last that Roy heard!!

dave green dave hoper dave burke and most of the others were friends of my brother steve[dolphin] he was a drummer he died in 2001 .this my first day on forum i worked at the birley hotel when all of them first started out

I occasionally meet up with Dave Jones from the Hillbilly Cats. Frank Peach, a vocalist from that era, is the father of our singer in the quite originally named Peachy.

I know that Frank White hasn't been too good health-wise lately. Been on the same bill as him a few times.

The best guide to the "old" Sheffield bands is the book "Not like a proper job"

Edited by Thewickerman

george gill

lives since nearly 25 years in a little town near stuttgart germany as a steetmusican

he made his own cd and was doing well most of the time

right now he is figthing the terrible thing calld cancer

anyway he is on a good way to defeat his sickness,with the help off his friends.

In the sixties Sheffield had some great guitar players..Frank White, Dave Hawley, Dave Hopper, Phil Crooks, Frank Miles, George Gill, Roy Barber, Roy Ledger, Mick Grimes, Peter York, Plus others, who's names I can't remember.. ..where are they now are they still playing ?
George is living in Germany, at this moment in time. at the moment he is being treated for throat cancer.

I occasionally meet up with Dave Jones from the Hillbilly Cats. Frank Peach, a vocalist from that era, is the father of our singer in the quite originally named Peachy.

I know that Frank White hasn't been too good health-wise lately. Been on the same bill as him a few times.

The best guide to the "old" Sheffield bands is the book "Not like a proper job"

I'm in that book sat in Bradley's window advertising our band Who's Who?

About 28 years ago i used to play with a guitarist called Alistair Mckinnon who played with Frank White years ago. unfortunately he died from smoking while asleep, frank did a tribute to him in a pub on london road, if i remember right the hermitage but i may be wrong, i did hear dont know if it is true that gibson built their first twin neck guitar for frank white

mel

http://www.melrandall.com