The Boiler/heating Megathread- all boiler & heating queries in here please

Hi All, it is me again with my ferroli combi boiler problems. After Ferroli engineer came out today he gave us warning notice TO NOT USE THE BOILER AS IT IS AT HIGH RISK. Apparently the contractors who initially fitted in the boiler have use the wrong gas pipe which is causing carbon dioxide to build up and the constant bangs we had to cope with for over a year every single night and day was the result of the pressure building up. Eventually the boiler could not cope with the pressure and hot water stopped.

The outcome of the report is as follows "Gas working pressure low at Boiler 16.5 at meter it is 20" if that makes any sense! another note says "gas pipework needs to be upgraded to allow 20mbar at the boiler with other appliances working". I do understand this is an extensive work to be done, so I wonder if anyone is willing to do this work and give me a quote on how much this could cost! Many thanks

Hi. Happy to quote for the work. Thanks, Lee

It will also depend where the gas pipe was tested because if the recent engineer tested it at the gas valve this reading could be in correct as there is some resistance through he gas valve. most modern combi s demand at least 17 when tested at the gas valve however if a test point was put in below the boiler at least 19 would be required.

Although this is a genuine problem and needs rectifying as stated I don't think it is the cause of all your problems I think ferroli are just taking the easy option.

I agree with Micky. I think there is something more going on with the boiler than just the undersized gas pipe. Would also have liked to have known result of putting it into service mode and gas rating the appliance.

A very low gas pressure in ferroli like other combis usually throughs them into a lockout as frequently the burner will not ignite. Often lukewarm hot water rather than no hot water at all (this is because the demand for hot water puts the burner on full rate until it begins to modulate).

undersized pipework is the sign of a cowboy. I also expect that the heatexchanger is full of sludge as well as some other components (d/v, pump, plate to plate)

I agree with Micky. I think there is something more going on with the boiler than just the undersized gas pipe. Would also have liked to have known result of putting it into service mode and gas rating the appliance.

A very low gas pressure in ferroli like other combis usually throughs them into a lockout as frequently the burner will not ignite. Often lukewarm hot water rather than no hot water at all (this is because the demand for hot water puts the burner on full rate until it begins to modulate).

undersized pipework is the sign of a cowboy. I also expect that the heatexchanger is full of sludge as well as some other components (d/v, pump, plate to plate)

Spot on, Andy (as usual). Viewed the installation and even took photos for reference. Install looked a total mare, solder everywhere, green snots, wires hanging loose etec etc. Gas from meter in 22mm, gas at boiler 22mm, BUT long 15mm interim pipe run left as a restriction. Boiler only 2yrs old and Ferrolli ALREADY been out three times, diverter replaced and HEAT EXCHANGER. Absolute cowboys and they charged TWICE what any independent installer would have charged for a quality conversion. This system was NEVER flushed adequately and this is the main problem behind the install and subsequent problems. MY heart really goes out to the unfortunate property owner, who has been over-charged for a very, very poor install. After complaints the original installers fitted a Magnaclean on the pipework in the airing cupboard as a goodwill gesture....those pipes being the old 'primary flow' and 'c/h flow'......hence not in the optimum position, just cleansing the flow AFTER it has been through the boiler. I really feel for these customers, they have paid the earth for a conversion (were told they 'could not have a Vaillant as it was not suitable for the property' ?) and have been fitted an average boiler in a very very poor way, a way that would probably cause the best of boilers to malfunction. :(

I think your being very generous with your comment "a very average boiler" Steve! I wouldn't touch a ferroli with a very long barge pole.

It's so frustrating when people are ripped off so blatantly. At least one of the good guys is gonna sort it out for them. Well done Stevie.

Ps... I don't look like my dad do I? Really?

I think your being very generous with your comment "a very average boiler" Steve! I wouldn't touch a ferroli with a very long barge pole.

It's so frustrating when people are ripped off so blatantly. At least one of the good guys is gonna sort it out for them. Well done Stevie.

Andy (Complete-Heat) is ALWAYS correct. Nice call mate, following my visit. Re : Mr Peacock....I do not like these boilers too BUT it is the very, very poor installation that has given this fragile appliance no chance at all, in this case....proper cowboy, unfortunately. 'SawHeating' apparently been out too and similar conclusion too, I understand.

p.s. Mr. Peacock.......you will do well to look as good as your father in 20yrs ;-) Thankfully your baby has her mother's looks ;-) XXX

AGREE....a Ferrolli is not even an 'average' boiler. An Ideal Logic+ is marginally more with a 5yr warranty, similar is a Vaillant or Baxi, which I heavily promote. Like yourself, I am not tied to any one manufacturer, and will install any boiler a customer selects, I just try to direct them towards the best currently available. Ultimately it is the customers money and the customers choice, cheers, Steve :)

Hi All,

Having a problem with my ferolli combi boiler, hot water not working at all and instead i get very cold water and temperture in the boiler goes down instead of up..the heating is working ok but just the water....please help!

thanks

This has happened to a ferroli boiler in one of our shops, plumber friend has been out and said it looks like diverter valve and he has also phoned ferroli tech who says similar.

Plumber checked valve to see if it is jammed but says it is not, says it will cost £200 for parts and labour, boiler is under warranty but need to provide some info off the installer for ferroli to honour it.

We only got the ferroli because the brother in law got us 2 for £800 as he was working in a plumbing supply wholesalers.

More than likely gona rip it out and replace with a vailant.

Get a Vailant, ferroli are crap.

This has happened to a ferroli boiler in one of our shops, plumber friend has been out and said it looks like diverter valve and he has also phoned ferroli tech who says similar.

Plumber checked valve to see if it is jammed but says it is not, says it will cost £200 for parts and labour, boiler is under warranty but need to provide some info off the installer for ferroli to honour it.

We only got the ferroli because the brother in law got us 2 for £800 as he was working in a plumbing supply wholesalers.

I totally agree that Vaillant are FAR superior boilers. A Ferrolli is a very 'average' boiler BUT it is usually the 'average' installer that gives this boiler no chance with a sub-standard install. ANY boiler will last 5 yrs with a good install but even a quality boiler will struggle if not installed correctly. Every system requires an 'adequate flush' and this is not always the case, and ultimately the downfall of any boiler. :mad:

I totally agree that Vaillant are FAR superior boilers. A Ferrolli is a very 'average' boiler BUT it is usually the 'average' installer that gives this boiler no chance with a sub-standard install. ANY boiler will last 5 yrs with a good install but even a quality boiler will struggle if not installed correctly. Every system requires an 'adequate flush' and this is not always the case, and ultimately the downfall of any boiler. :mad:

The whole system was new as the shop had no central heating and the installer is time served and has done numerous others for us, one ferroli we have has been no problem but this one keeps playing up.

Most conventional boilers are much the same, and priced as such. Combi's are very different, they have many complex parts and narrow waterways, you NEED a very good, reliable appliance, fitted CORRECTLY. ANY conventional boiler fitted correctly should give years of happy service. ANY DECENT Combi should give years of service also, IF fitted and flushed correctly. A magnetic filter is the best investment, in my opinion, on any combi system. It is almost a necessity and the reason I strongly recommend to any system I install.

cheers, Steve

The whole system was new as the shop had no central heating and the installer is time served and has done numerous others for us, one ferroli we have has been no problem but this one keeps playing up.

I do not disagree that your installer is 'time served'. You appear to have a problem already, which shows either a problem with the boiler OR installation. I do not mean to cast blame, just expect a new boiler/install to be more reliable :)

Edited by corgigasman