Passive Smoking

What do you think of passive smoking?  

137 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of passive smoking?

• I smoke and feel I should be able to smoke anywhere.
    • I smoke but believe it right to protect non-smokers.
    • I don't smoke but don't mind other people's smoke.
    • I don't like smoke but feel obliged to put up with it.
    • I don't like smoke and feel I should be entitled to protection from it.

Originally posted by Cyclone

One vice that I ought to give up is arguing with people who refuse to see another persons point of view.

problem is everyone has widely different views on this subject. I'm a non-smoker, but smoking honestly doesn't bother me. i never think about it when i'm out apart from chosing a non-smoking area in a restaurant, which is only sensible, and i can't say that i'm subjected to passive smoking to such an extent that it will damage my health, although time will tell of course. when in company i tend not to notice who is smoking as its not something which is always on my mind. others, however, are obsessed by it and clearly they have their own reasons for this.

Originally posted by starla

if i die from cancer will there be conclusive evidence that i had it because i smoked??

if you die from cancer will there be conclusive evidence that PASSIVE SMOKING caused it??

on an individual basis, no of course not.

It's when you look at the statistics that you get a sensible picture.

you study the cause of death for a group of non-smokers who's profile indicated little to know passive smoking.

you study the cause of death for a group of non-smokers who's profile indicated moderate to strong passive smoking.

same for light smokers

same for heavy smokers

you make sure there are no other common factors between the groups that can skew the results (Ie that the individuals are truly a random cross section, or that you account for things like different health styles in area's you are not interested in).

You then compare the % that died from lung cancer in each group.

You now have scientific evidence which gives a strong indication of how lung cancer correlates to different levels of active and passive smoking.

I'm only strongly concerned about this in an intellectual way. When the argument was first brought to my attention my immediate reaction was that smokers have the right to smoke. It took a little while before I decided the other way. It hasn't stopped me going to any pubs or bars, although I am always upset if smoke drifts over me in a restuarant.

It just so happens that the demographic that form most of my social contact happen to smoke very little. Either graduates or students and a large portion either actively training or ex-training in at least one martial art, or otherwise concerned about their general health.

Even at work there are very few smokers as most people are graduates and the average age is probably quite low compared to some companies.

Originally posted by starla

if i die from cancer will there be conclusive evidence that i had it because i smoked??

if you die from cancer will there be conclusive evidence that PASSIVE SMOKING caused it??

Are you going to die to prove the point? I'm certainly not!

Originally posted by Tony

Are you going to die to prove the point? I'm certainly not!

y do i need to die to prove the point all i asked was is there conclusive evidence of it??

end of the day your gona die no matter what!

the last thing i heard and it was in the papers was that passive smokin was not as bad as they 1st thought!

and as sidla says cancer is alot to do with genetics! not jus because someone sat near you is smokin! xx

So does that justify you having the easily preventable opportunity to reduce my lifespan?

I would quite happily go with the accepted professional opinion that its bad for you than argue the toss about semantics and genetics.

I have no problem at all with you having a hermatically sealed room to enjoy your dance of death.

I don't know if I should be in this thread, as I'm currently having a lovely fag, so you'd best hold your breath while you read this! ^_^

I actually agree, smoking is anti-social. I wish I didn't. But I do. So incidentally is my friend who is an ex heroin addict - he kicked heroin but he can't kick smoking.

I'd favour an outright ban. Make the stuff illegal

Originally posted by Cyclone

if you are trying to suggest that smoking does not cause cancer then you are living in lala land.

No, I was trying to suggest that some people are genetically more likely to develop cancer than others.