Football Fan Ban Over Gender Critical Posts After Premier League Investigation

Special unit set up to root out racism was used to comb through comments made by Linzi Smith, a gay female Newcastle fan

A female football fan was banned from matches over social media posts that were deemed transphobic after a “Stasi” spying investigation by the Premier League.

A special unit set up to root out racism in the game was used to comb through comments made by Linzi Smith, a gender-critical Newcastle United supporter, even though the posts had nothing to do with football. Gender-critical people believe transgender women are not women.

Ms Smith, who is gay and promotes lesbian, gay and bisexual rights and women’s rights, was put under investigation by the police, the Premier League and Newcastle United after expressing strong views on trans ideology on her personal account on X, formerly Twitter.

The 34-year-old was shocked to discover that the Premier League had compiled a dossier detailing where she lives, works and where she walked her dog. The 11-page “target profile”, marked confidential, included data on “associated aliases” and “vulnerabilities”.

She was interviewed under caution by police after the dossier was handed to officers by Newcastle United. Officers took just two hours to inform her that she had not committed any crime, but the club, which had spent four months looking into her background, revoked her membership and banned her from games until 2026.

She is taking legal action in an attempt to overturn the ban, arguing that her right to exercise gender-critical views is protected in law, and that the Premier League’s trawl of her personal social media account constituted a breach of data protection laws.

Are the Premier League in the right?

Personally I find this outrageous but if I'm honest I'm not surprised.  Apparently having the wrong opinion can be rather dangerous these days.

Your thoughts?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/02/02/football-fan-banned-gender-critical-posts-permier-league/

I read about this a while back.

It's really quite pathetic but eye opening at the same time, but it's just the way the Western world is going.

I have reassurance that not everywhere is as pathetic.

I hope she wins her case, but it's just the beginning isn't it.

20 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

Special unit set up to root out racism was used to comb through comments made by Linzi Smith, a gay female Newcastle fan

A female football fan was banned from matches over social media posts that were deemed transphobic after a “Stasi” spying investigation by the Premier League.

A special unit set up to root out racism in the game was used to comb through comments made by Linzi Smith, a gender-critical Newcastle United supporter, even though the posts had nothing to do with football. Gender-critical people believe transgender women are not women.

Ms Smith, who is gay and promotes lesbian, gay and bisexual rights and women’s rights, was put under investigation by the police, the Premier League and Newcastle United after expressing strong views on trans ideology on her personal account on X, formerly Twitter.

The 34-year-old was shocked to discover that the Premier League had compiled a dossier detailing where she lives, works and where she walked her dog. The 11-page “target profile”, marked confidential, included data on “associated aliases” and “vulnerabilities”.

She was interviewed under caution by police after the dossier was handed to officers by Newcastle United. Officers took just two hours to inform her that she had not committed any crime, but the club, which had spent four months looking into her background, revoked her membership and banned her from games until 2026.

She is taking legal action in an attempt to overturn the ban, arguing that her right to exercise gender-critical views is protected in law, and that the Premier League’s trawl of her personal social media account constituted a breach of data protection laws.

Are the Premier League in the right?

Personally I find this outrageous but if I'm honest I'm not surprised.  Apparently having the wrong opinion can be rather dangerous these days.

Your thoughts?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/02/02/football-fan-banned-gender-critical-posts-permier-league/

I think that George Orwell saw this nonsense coming quite some time ago. It's a ridiculous situation that we've got ourselves into.

Evelyn Beatrice Shaw was an English author who wrote a biography of Voltaire , she summed up his philosophy as " I disagree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it. "

We are entering the ludicrous area of mind control, it needs to stop before it gets even more draconian.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, m williamson said:

I think that George Orwell saw this nonsense coming quite some time ago. It's a ridiculous situation that we've got ourselves into.

Evelyn Beatrice Shaw was an English author who wrote a biography of Voltaire , she summed up his philosophy as " I disagree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it. "

We are entering the ludicrous area of mind control, it needs to stop before it gets even more draconian.

He did - very well, I thought, but he got his dates slightly out - I think 1984 was slightly less crazy that 2024.

I haven't read the article this was based on, but it reminds me of another topic somewhere on this forum where a legal person has been 'taken to task' for stating similar truths.

Why are these fringe groups given so much rope?

20 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

He did - very well, I thought, but he got his dates slightly out - I think 1984 was slightly less crazy that 2024.

I haven't read the article this was based on, but it reminds me of another topic somewhere on this forum where a legal person has been 'taken to task' for stating similar truths.

Why are these fringe groups given so much rope?

Exactly my thoughts on the matter. Isn't there anyone left in a position of authority that's able to say " Are you serious or are you having a laugh? Go away. " when some oversensitive looking to take offence clown comes up with this nonsense?

A great man once said " Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but no one is entitled to their own fact. "

It's a fact that if someone has a full set of male genitalia and is biologically unable to menstruate because they don't have a uterus to menstruate from they cannot claim truthfully to be female.

That J K Rowling and Graham Linehan among others have been attacked and threatened through the media for stating  those facts. The police would be far better employed tracking down those people who want to destroy free speech instead of playing their game at the taxpayers expense.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, m williamson said:

Exactly my thoughts on the matter. Isn't there anyone left in a position of authority that's able to say " Are you serious or are you having a laugh? Go away. " when some oversensitive looking to take offence clown comes up with this nonsense?

A great man once said " Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but no one is entitled to their own fact. "

It's a fact that if someone has a full set of male genitalia and is biologically unable to menstruate because they don't have a uterus to menstruate from they cannot claim truthfully to be female.

That J K Rowling and Graham Linehan among others have been attacked and threatened through the media for stating  those facts. The police would be far better employed tracking down those people who want to destroy free speech instead of playing their game at the taxpayers expense.

My bold.

It's almost as though there is some agenda by powerful but shadowy elites who are pulling the strings that gives this tiny tiny fraction of people such a disproportionately loud voice. 

But I'm sure that couldn't possibly be the case. 

1 minute ago, The_DADDY said:

My bold.

It's almost as though there is some agenda by powerful but shadowy elites who are pulling the strings that gives this tiny tiny fraction of people such a disproportionately loud voice. 

But I'm sure that couldn't possibly be the case. 

I wouldn't be that sure.

• Like 4

I'm not sure that it isn't just a sad case of general lunacy taking place.  Look at this for an example of complete nonsensical lack of commonsense.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/03/18/witheridge-devon-village-clock-silenced/

One complaint!  This is how the complaint should have been dealt with in my opinion.

" Yes, you have my sympathy, it must be a bit annoying.  When did you move to the village?

" Lived here all my life "

" And you've just noticed the bells? "

" No, but now there're annoying me. "

" How old are you? "

" 45 (?) "

" The church is over 150 years old, no one else has complained, so while I sympathise with you it seems the only solution is for one of you to leave the village. The church has 105 years precedence and would be difficult to relocate, so although we'll miss you don't let the door hit you on the arse on the way out. "

What's wrong with that as a diplomatic way of handling the situation?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, m williamson said:

I'm not sure that it isn't just a sad case of general lunacy taking place.  Look at this for an example of complete nonsensical lack of commonsense.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/03/18/witheridge-devon-village-clock-silenced/

One complaint!  This is how the complaint should have been dealt with in my opinion.

" Yes, you have my sympathy, it must be a bit annoying.  When did you move to the village?

" How old are you? "

" 45 (?) "

" The church is over 150 years old, no one else has complained, so while I sympathise with you it seems the only solution is for one of you to leave the village. The church has 105 years precedence and would be difficult to relocate, so although we'll miss you don't let the door hit you on the arse on the way out. "

Nothing at all - and 'but now they're annoying me' - so they have stop - really!!!?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, m williamson said:

" How old are you? "

" 45 (?) "

It doesn’t surprise me; the Church of England seems to be a gutless organisation. It should have told the parish council to get stuffed and Newcastle United should have told the Premier League the same.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, m williamson said:

" How old are you? "

" 45 (?) "

Slightly different but on the same vein. Small race tracks. The kind that were affordable to rent out by car enthusiasts and often were.  Developers would buy nearby land and build housing on it and people would move in, in full knowledge of the track as it would be on their survey.  They'd then start to complain about the noise and the council would enforce untenable restrictions meaning the track was useless.

Now I don't condone street racing in anyway shape or form however the common call is "save it for the track". Those smaller tracks were often around £1000  for exclusive 1 day hire and you'd probably have a limit of 15 cars. So around £70/ea for the day.

Big tracks are the only option now,  Silverstone/Brands Hatch are in the region of £30,000/day for hire, so nowhere near affordable for the average enthusiast. 

Although in the US, one of the most famous racetracks in the world is currently being sued for noise. Leguna Seca.  A track that long existed before the housing around it. (The housing sprang up BECAUSE of the track)

Link

• Like 1