Parking Permits Zones And Traffic Wardens

Just an observation but why isn’t there a permit zone in pagehall or firth park? I never see a traffic warden either. Certain times of day and evening in pagehall parking is ridiculous. Yet in areas like Hillsborough your pounced on if you park without a permit. 

Maybe they're too lazy to translate the parking information into 27 different languages?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, garryh69 said:

Just an observation but why isn’t there a permit zone in pagehall or firth park? I never see a traffic warden either. Certain times of day and evening in pagehall parking is ridiculous. Yet in areas like Hillsborough your pounced on if you park without a permit. 

Probably because the people who

live and work there haven’t asked for one.

One was proposed a few years ago in the area around the northern general hospital, but the locals rejected the idea in the consultation, so it never happened. I was told they rejected it as they didn’t want to pay the £35 or so per year for the permit as many are on low incomes. 

The council only tend to put permit zones in where people ask for them. Hillsborough was the most requested location outside the area around the city centre, but the original scope of it was significantly reduced as residents in some parts said they didn’t want / need one.

Part of the deal when people accept a permit zone is that it is regularly enforced. That’s why you will see more CEO’s in permit zones than elsewhere. 

If you were really interested, parking services would tell you how many tickets they issue in Page Hall. All you need to do is send them an email.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, garryh69 said:

are you kidding me? No where is parking more 'ridiculous' as you put it than Hillsborough. On match days it is downright dangerous. Yet as i wade through the cars or see parents having to push prams down the road because hundreds of cars are parked on the pavements, i  think to myself, where are the traffic wardens?? Where is the police?? Turning a blind eye, that's where.

2 hours ago, Planner1 said:

If you were really interested, parking services would tell you how many tickets they issue in Page Hall. All you need to do is send them an email.

Will they tell you how many have been pursued for non-payment? 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Resident said:

Probably be covered under the FOI Act aye. 

31 minutes ago, Resident said:

I believe so. 

Unpaid fines are reported to the traffic enforcement centre ( county court at Northampton ) who appoint bailiffs to pursue the fines ( plus the processing charges). It’s a National setup that all councils use as far as I’m aware.

Some of the fines do prove to be uncollectable.

In my previous role at SCC I used to have to field complaints from people who literally had bailiffs at the door to seize their possessions for unpaid fines. So I can confirm that they do always pursue unpaid fines within the means available to them. A handful of £30 fines can very quickly add up to £ thousands once this court and bailiff fees are added. The bailiffs invariably look to seize a persons car first. It can be a pretty traumatic experience. 

1 minute ago, Planner1 said:

I believe so. 

Unpaid fines are reported to the traffic enforcement centre ( county court at Northampton ) who appoint bailiffs to pursue the fines ( plus the processing charges). It’s a National setup that all councils use as far as I’m aware.

Some of the fines do prove to be uncollectable.

In my previous role at SCC I used to have to field complaints from people who literally had bailiffs at the door to seize their possessions for unpaid fines. So I can confirm that they do always pursue unpaid fines within the means available to them. A handful of £30 fines can very quickly add up to £ thousands once this court and bailiff fees are added. The bailiffs invariably look to seize a persons car first. It can be a pretty traumatic experience. 

So if they paid the penalty, they wouldn't have to go through this 'trauma'?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, arrowhead said:

are you kidding me? No where is parking more 'ridiculous' as you put it than Hillsborough. On match days it is downright dangerous. Yet as i wade through the cars or see parents having to push prams down the road because hundreds of cars are parked on the pavements, i  think to myself, where are the traffic wardens?? Where is the police?? Turning a blind eye, that's where.

No, they don’t turn a blind eye. I’ve seen plenty of vehicles with penalty charge notices on them when I’ve been coming out of football matches and I’ve dealt with complaints about the issue of penalties at matches while I was at SCC.

You need to perhaps consider that they only have a limited amount of time to patrol and issue tickets, while the fans are in the ground. For obvious safety reasons they need to be well away from the area when fans are coming out, which can be well before the end of the game. 

4 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

So if they paid the penalty, they wouldn't have to go through this 'trauma'?

Correct.

The advice is always to pay the fine or challenge it through the regulated process.

It is very unsafe to ignore legally enforceable penalties. 

I’ve seen examples of cases where people have become rather obsessed with parking penalties and have taken them to the high court and lost. That entails huge costs. One guy I saw on a TV documentary was facing losing his house.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Probably be covered under the FOI Act aye. 

Indeed. The council can easily run a report off from their back office system.