Karen's Diner To Open On The Moor

Just now, Irene Swaine said:

Are you good with a walkie-talkie?

No , can’t do two things at once. 

11 hours ago, SheffieldForum said:

Maybe the terrace is where the pub you were talking about for The Moor could go?

14 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

Having a terrace bar overlooking the Moor would be a good way to attract attention. A popular trick of many restaurants is to seat people close to the window to draw the eye of passing trade.

I'm not sure a standard pub chain would do very well there - largely for the same reasons I've already explained, and I'm not sure I'd want too rowdy a crowd up on the terrace overlooking The Moor - but I could see slightly upmarket wine/cocktail bar etc selling that terrace space quite well to the discerning customer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndrewC said:

I'm not sure a standard pub chain would do very well there - largely for the same reasons I've already explained, and I'm not sure I'd want too rowdy a crowd up on the terrace overlooking The Moor - but I could see slightly upmarket wine/cocktail bar etc selling that terrace space quite well to the discerning customer.

Snob . 😃

2 hours ago, AndrewC said:

I think that's part of the problem with The Light. They are going for the wrong market. A Hungry Horse or Mitchell's & Butlers pub would do well IMO. Get the football fans and stag/hen parties in. If they put a One Beyond store in there and perhaps a CEX, it would increase the footfall overnight.

11 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

I think that's part of the problem with The Light. They are going for the wrong market. A Hungry Horse or Mitchell's & Butlers pub would do well IMO. Get the football fans and stag/hen parties in. If they put a One Beyond store in there and perhaps a CEX, it would increase the footfall overnight.

One Below. 

1 hour ago, Irene Swaine said:

What market is that then? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

Which of the M&B brands?

8 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

What market is that then? 

The sort of people who wear charcoal face packs and whose parents pay for their university fees outright with funds from the spare bank account. Although there are student accomodation nearby, the majority of The Moor footfall is from people on incomes of less than £30,000, people who weren't able to access higher education and people who consider themselves to be working class. I'd have thought someone who is educated such as yourself would see what I'm getting at. The people who visit The Moor don't want a £16 seitan burger from Lane 7, they want a two for £15 curry and preferably a place with high chairs to bring their children.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, RollingJ said:

Which of the M&B brands?

Probably the unbranded variety like the Crosspool Tavern was. Or maybe a Toby Carvery (not 100% sure if that is Mitchell's & Butler's mind).k

8 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

Probably the unbranded variety like the Crosspool Tavern was. Or maybe a Toby Carvery (not 100% sure if that is Mitchell's & Butler's mind).k

It is - but you could easily have checked.

Do carveries generally work in city centres?

1 minute ago, abbeyedges said:

Do carveries generally work in city centres?

Not really.

Toby Carvery isn’t a city centre brand either really.

• Like 2