22 March: A New Chapter For Supertram

5 minutes ago, Padders said:

Just renewed mine Irene.

Daughter had to do it for me.

ooop's of topic again.

It's a pain in the backside. Will be worth it for your holiday though.

1 minute ago, Irene Swaine said:

It's a pain in the backside. Will be worth it for your holiday though.

Daughter had to photograph me, no smiling, white background, then send it on computer, I can't do things like that..

And the photo, OMG I look like some Mafia kingpin.

Am I glad I'm on the inside of my face.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Padders said:

Daughter had to photograph me, no smiling, white background, then send it on computer, I can't do things like that..

Will show customs whose boss. I use the Photo Me! booths for mine. 

Just now, Irene Swaine said:

Will show customs whose boss. I use the Photo Me! booths for mine. 

Cost about £10. don't they.

9 minutes ago, Padders said:

Cost about £10. don't they.

It was £5 when I last did it. Could have increased since then. I used the one in Broomhill Post Office. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Padders said:

sounds like, jobs a good un.

those are the best at passport checks, you'll waltz through immigration 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

Well, he would say that, wouldn't he? :wink:

'Massaged' figures?

45 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Well, he would say that, wouldn't he? :wink:

'Massaged' figures?

Oooh, the cynicism is strong. 🤣

The figures will be made public in accounts, surely? So we’ll be able to mark his work when that’s published.

8 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

Oooh, the cynicism is strong. 🤣

The figures will be made public in accounts, surely? So we’ll be able to mark his work when that’s published.

Sorry, but some of his (and his predecessors) 'press releases' have been a little, shall  we say, 'ambiguous' , so I view them with caution. 😄

Posted (edited)

I don't think figures will necessarily have been massaged but it is worth taking them with a pinch of salt.

I'm all for this and I want it to succeed and I'm not saying there won't have been any positive impact even in this short a time, but is it likely just 1 month of public ownership has radically altered the trams fortunes, or done anything long lasting? Probably not - meaningful change will take much longer.

Probably two types of thing are happening:

1) Quick wins and short-term, focussed action. You can walk in to an organisation and you immediately set some obvious, small things right, and also you can enact some short-term focus on certain things - that probably accounts for the fare evasion, if they've been hot on that, more  etc. Downside is quick wins become harder to find and short-term actions can't always be maintained long-term.

2) Recent high profile. The tram has been in countless articles, posts, conversations etc because of the takeover, so it's had lots of free publicity which will have put it back in the minds of many potential passengers. That might account for a fair bit of the 17% increase in revenue - would be interesting to know if patronage is up. Also, if fare evasion is down then that alone might account for the 17% revenue increase!

So it really needs someone with a good insight in to the system, the organisation, and what actual changes etc have been made in the last month to really understand how impactful it's been. That's not me, unfortunately!

Has anyone in the media asked Oliver what changes have actually been made?

Edited by AndrewC
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

I don't think figures will necessarily have been massaged but it is worth taking them with a pinch of salt.

I'm all for this and I want it to succeed and I'm not saying there won't have been any positive impact even in this short a time, but is it likely just 1 month of public ownership has radically altered the trams fortunes, or done anything long lasting? Probably not - meaningful change will take much longer.

Probably two types of thing are happening:

1) Quick wins and short-term, focussed action. You can walk in to an organisation and you immediately set some obvious, small things right, and also you can enact some short-term focus on certain things - that probably accounts for the fare evasion, if they've been hot on that, more  etc. Downside is quick wins become harder to find and short-term actions can't always be maintained long-term.

2) Recent high profile. The tram has been in countless articles, posts, conversations etc because of the takeover, so it's had lots of free publicity which will have put it back in the minds of many potential passengers. That might account for a fair bit of the 17% increase in revenue - would be interesting to know if patronage is up. Also, if fare evasion is down then that alone might account for the 17% revenue increase!

So it really needs someone with a good insight in to the system, the organisation, and what actual changes etc have been made in the last month to really understand how impactful it's been. That's not me, unfortunately!

Has anyone in the media asked Oliver what changes have actually been made?

An increase of 17% revenue is quite impressive still, considering ticket prices are reduced currently.

Politicians probably won’t be able to say much else now (via direct channels) as we’re in purdah before the local elections.