22 March: A New Chapter For Supertram

7 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

Did trams never break down before?

Can't you find a photo of Oliver with a sad face . 

On 25/04/2024 at 04:01, RollingJ said:

They did - and Stagecoach got the blame - so - quid pro co?

Most of the vehicles are old, obsolete and need replacing. Same for whoever is operating them.

4 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Most of the vehicles are old, obsolete and need replacing. Same for whoever is operating them.

I know they are old - apart from the Tram Trains, most of them are the original rolling stock.

On 24/04/2024 at 20:00, hackey lad said:

Well Oliver , two broken down Trams  on the Blue line at this very moment .  The start of your new adventure  is looking very ropey . 

On 24/04/2024 at 21:01, RollingJ said:

They did - and Stagecoach got the blame - so - quid pro co?

The point here surely is that replacing the knackered fleet and/or changes to maintenance are not something that is going to be sorted overnight, and there is such a thing as a honeymoon period.

Like I said in my comment earlier in this thread, we should take the 'positives' with a pinch of salt, it's only fair that we apply the same logic to negatives - if most of us agree that Stagecoach have not exactly run the system well for the last however many years then it stands to reason that meaningful improvements will take time.

It's right that broken down trams are still flagged up as an important issue that needs addressing, but actively 'blaming' the new regime for it, or saying that it somehow proves this new regime isn't going to work seems a tad ludicrous. 

Also, trams do break down. Even new trams, with good maintenance. So, lets see what the trend in breakdowns is like after 1-2 years of new ownership, not try and draw conclusions from one day. If it's no better, I'll be as disappointed as you two, I promise.

• Thanks 1

The tendering process for the full rebuild and  refurbishment of original fleet will reveal if it will be more economic to replace them. Having proved to be the best 'modern' UK tram by streets the rebuild/or replacement  can be staggered over several years. There is no technical reason why a 20 year life extension cannot be achieved - only a disability access issue( solved in modern trams with low floors throughout0, 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

The point here surely is that replacing the knackered fleet and/or changes to maintenance are not something that is going to be sorted overnight, and there is such a thing as a honeymoon period.

Like I said in my comment earlier in this thread, we should take the 'positives' with a pinch of salt, it's only fair that we apply the same logic to negatives - if most of us agree that Stagecoach have not exactly run the system well for the last however many years then it stands to reason that meaningful improvements will take time.

It's right that broken down trams are still flagged up as an important issue that needs addressing, but actively 'blaming' the new regime for it, or saying that it somehow proves this new regime isn't going to work seems a tad ludicrous. 

Also, trams do break down. Even new trams, with good maintenance. So, lets see what the trend in breakdowns is like after 1-2 years of new ownership, not try and draw conclusions from one day. If it's no better, I'll be as disappointed as you two, I promise.

Dunno why you quoted me in there - but no matter.

1 minute ago, RollingJ said:

Dunno why you quoted me in there - but no matter.

Because you were referring to the blame being put on Coppard et al. It was context to the point I was making about being careful putting too much blame on a new operator so soon in to their tenure.

1 hour ago, AndrewC said:

Because you were referring to the blame being put on Coppard et al. It was context to the point I was making about being careful putting too much blame on a new operator so soon in to their tenure.

Indeed. Just like someone taking over a local online forum should be given time too... 🤣

5 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

Indeed. Just like someone taking over a local online forum should be given time too... 🤣

@SheffieldForum- have I ever said you shouldn't have the time? I think not.

As to the tram situation - no one is to 'blame' for the issues, but as said previously, Stagecoach quite often got the 'blame' for situations outside their control.

1 minute ago, RollingJ said:

@SheffieldForum- have I ever said you shouldn't have the time? I think not.

It was tongue-in-cheek and not aimed at you. 😉

• Like 1