22 March: A New Chapter For Supertram

All my kids have bank accounts. Cards and the app with tap to pay on their phone so not sure what decade your opinion is based on. I see kids aged 11 going to school on their own on the tram every day using their phone to pay.

So getting the app to have more fares on would make the experience better. The new payment machines at least seem to work better than the Stagecoach ones and don't suddenly drop off in certain area such as between Spring Lane and Park Grange.

• Sad 1

My children and all their friends have bank accounts and cards, and they find money strange. We don't have money in the house for tickets anymore, only bank transfers.

• Sad 1

No wonder the younguns these days are racking up debt. They tap away carelessly. Some young shop keepers don't even know how to count coins. By the time I was 14, I could caclulate the change for all of my purchases in my head. A skill lost on the next generation.

• Like 2

So doesn't that contradict what you said earlier then?

1 minute ago, Andy_terrier said:

So doesn't that contradict what you said earlier then?

No because most parents are sensible enough to teach kids how to use and count cash. There are small minorities that wrecklessly give their kids bank accounts and we have the problem when the kids become adults and get jobs, they struggle to do basic tasks such as count. All of the children that buy from my shop pay with their pocket money in cash and only cash because I don't accept card payments. Fancy letting a child walk around with a bank card. 🙄

Judging my parenting much there?

I think you find it isn't reckless to give kids the technology to manage their own money and will help them when they move into the wider world as we move away from cash as the dominant way of paying for things.  It's not like they can get overdrafts...

• Haha 1

Judging my parenting much there?

I think you find it isn't reckless to give kids the technology to manage their own money and will help them when they move into the wider world as we move away from cash as the dominant way of paying for things.  It's not like they can get overdrafts...

Or that the cards won't work if the preloaded amount has been used...

2 girls about 14 got on the bus the other day, tried paying with their bank card for the fare, declined. No funds. They had to walk up the hill. After delaying the bus while they kept trying to scan it.

Just now, Irene Swaine said:

2 girls about 14 got on the bus the other day, tried paying with their bank card for the fare, declined. No funds. They had to walk up the hill. After delaying the bus while they kept trying to scan it.

Should have checked they had funds on them.

4 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Should have checked they had funds on them.

A lot of them play the game to try and get on for free . 

And there's a life lesson! Have the money or walk!!

2 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

A lot of them play the game to try and get on for free . 

They'll learn - or they should!

And there's a life lesson! Have the money or walk!!

Exactly.

• Like 1