Does The Hen And Chickens Pub Castle Green Opens In The Day?

11 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Enterprise have killed a lot of pubs .

Want too much rent for often run down pubs that Enterprise are not willing to invest in. 

Did some work there back in 1982,  I think it was someone called John running it then, not sure if it used to be his parents pub. The elderly lady who worked in the kitchen gave us a plate of freshly cooked chips every day. Was a nice pub, very quiet and like someone said a lot of professional people used it, I don't think I have ever been in there since then.

20 or so years ago it was used by SCC as temporary homeless accommodation. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, SheffieldForum said:

Fun fact: the Hen & Chickens was the pub used as a location for filming on Channel 4 drama The Virtues starring Stephen Graham and written/directed by Shane Meadows. The regulars were used as extras, with the director putting cash behind the bar for them. Lots of other Sheffield locations too - it is still available on Channel 4 On Demand.

Really very good drama that, I had to refresh my memory via youtube.  Linked below, maybe this is the  Hen and Chickens scene?  Far too long since I've been in there to remember! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBs02wLnheA

Edited by Draggletail

2 hours ago, Draggletail said:

Really very good drama that, I had to refresh my memory via youtube.  Linked below, maybe this is the  Hen and Chickens scene?  Far too long since I've been in there to remember! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBs02wLnheA

Yes that brought back  a few memories I used to sit on back wall seating area I used buy Stones . A strange feature of the pub was it had two bars in one room the one they used seen in the clip and the other not  in use with a shutter down you passed it to go the toilets.  Certainly some good acting on that sample scene. Yes the pub didn't have the best name in town but I found it to be ok often talked to other customers I never felt threatened but only went in the day what it was like at night I can't say.

• Like 1

True story . A few years ago me and the Good Lady went in one Saturday afternoon . I saw this bloke eyeing me up suspiciously . After 5 minutes I saw him  coming towards me . I thought here we go . He comes up and accuse me of being a copper , I tell him I'm not and off he goes but he keeps eyeing me up . He comes over again and accuses me of being a copper , I tell him I'm not , just out for a quiet  drink with the Mrs . Off he goes still eyeing me up .  he came back a third time saying are you sure you're not a copper , I again said I wasn't . He walked off ,stopped and came back and asked me if I wanted to buy some Brown ( Heroin)  😀

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

True story . A few years ago me and the Good Lady went in one Saturday afternoon . I saw this bloke eyeing me up suspiciously . After 5 minutes I saw him  coming towards me . I thought here we go . He comes up and accuse me of being a copper , I tell him I'm not and off he goes but he keeps eyeing me up . He comes over again and accuses me of being a copper , I tell him I'm not , just out for a quiet  drink with the Mrs . Off he goes still eyeing me up .  he came back a third time saying are you sure you're not a copper , I again said I wasn't . He walked off ,stopped and came back and asked me if I wanted to buy some Brown ( Heroin)  😀

Well you shouldn't look like a copper then 😄. The one story told about the Hen and Chickens is an old bloke who was a bit worst for wear  getting up to get a drink while doing so did number two that rolled down his trousers. When the regulars told him to clean himself up he then collected his poo off the floor then proceeded place  into ashtrays along the bar he was not too popular after that. Urban myth or true  story who knows.  The one pub were I was offered just about everything under the sun was the Cannon only went in once lesson learnt. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, GabrielC said:

Well you shouldn't look like a copper then 😄. The one story told about the Hen and Chickens is an old bloke who was a bit worst for wear  getting up to get a drink while doing so did number two that rolled down his trousers. When the regulars told him to clean himself up he then collected his poo off the floor then proceeded place  into ashtrays along the bar he was not too popular after that. Urban myth or true  story who knows.  The one pub were I was offered just about everything under the sun was the Cannon only went in once lesson learnt. 

Another one . First time we went in , I went to the Lavatory , my god it was grim in there . I told the Good Lady and she replied " You should see the Ladies , just been in and a young lass was shaving her legs and having a ladies trim , getting ready for her night out 😂😂😂

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Another one . First time we went in , I went to the Lavatory , my god it was grim in there . I told the Good Lady and she replied " You should see the Ladies , just been in and a young lass was shaving her legs and having a ladies trim , getting ready for her night out 😂😂😂

Are sure that wasn't the Cannon it seemed that sort of place no windows red lights knocking shop feel to it? 

3 minutes ago, GabrielC said:

Are sure that wasn't the Cannon it seemed that sort of place no windows red lights knocking shop feel to it? 

No mate , Hen and Chickens  . I only went in the Cannon a few times and I was much younger .

10 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

No mate , Hen and Chickens  . I only went in the Cannon a few times and I was much younger .

It's a shame that part of the city looks so run down. I think even if someone had the money and prepared to take the risk with Hen and Chickens they would think twice because the footfall would be very little. 

2 minutes ago, GabrielC said:

It's a shame that part of the city looks so run down. I think even if someone had the money and prepared to take the risk with Hen and Chickens they would think twice because the footfall would be very little. 

. :thumbsup: Them proper spit and sawdust pubs will soon be a thing of the past .