New Supertram Stop Approved

I'll have a look next time I'm on the X1 how many people get off at Magna. 

On 18/03/2024 at 00:36, Irene Swaine said:

I'll have a look next time I'm on the X1 how many people get off at Magna. 

Go ahead, but the number of people getting on or off the X1 at Magna when you happen to be looking is not a reliable indicator of whether the business case for a tram stop at Magna adds up. There are a variety of factors at play here, and 'how many people use the X1 past Magna' is only one of them.

1 hour ago, AndrewC said:

Go ahead, but the number of people getting on or off the X1 at Magna when you happen to be looking is not a reliable indicator of whether the business case for a tram stop at Magna adds up. There are a variety of factors at play here, and 'how many people use the X1 past Magna' is only one of them.

In about 2 weeks nobody will be getting off the X1 at Magna ;) 

But I can tell you on an average weekday the answer is practically zero. Weekends you might see a couple, usually parent and child visiting Magna. 

Events usually see an increase but you're talking handful at best. 

When there are big events like BassFest, Magna closes the pedestrian access so the nearest bus stop is ParcelForce then walk around the back to the car park (Bessemer Way onto Magna Way). Additionally the big events tend to contract a shuttle bus service. 

Did they not build a temporary station at Workington north after flooding in a few days at a cost of under a quarter of a million with over 2000 passengers a day using it. 

yes you can build a station cheaply , if you want but why bother when no one questions you.

bet nothing like 2000 will use the station every day, have they published how many users they expect to use the new station? If not they should so they can be held accountable 

8 minutes ago, BigAl1 said:

Did they not build a temporary station at Workington north after flooding in a few days at a cost of under a quarter of a million with over 2000 passengers a day using it. 

yes you can build a station cheaply , if you want but why bother when no one questions you.

bet nothing like 2000 will use the station every day, have they published how many users they expect to use the new station? If not they should so they can be held accountable 

The key word there is “temporary”

Of course you can build cheaper if the structure is only expected to fulfil a short term purpose. 

The figures being quoted don’t appear untypical for new stations. It’s got an over bridge bridge and lifts. 

In West Yorkshire they are looking to build a new station on the Calder Valley line at Elland, which might get 2 trains an hour stopping there. Cost of the station is £20 million and the access package for it is another £10 million.

Building anything on the railway is frighteningly expensive. 

The MCA  have done a business case for it. They do it for all significant schemes. You could send in an foi request and see a copy if you were really interested. 

• Like 1

as many people will use a tram stop at magna as will use the new stupid cycle lane leading to rotherham