Sign in to follow this  

Bus Service Changes From 7 April 2024

Just now, RollingJ said:

So, a further drain on the SYCMA budget, which they claim is already under 'great strain'. Sounds logical to me.

Or... an investment in the wider economy?

10 minutes ago, Resident said:

I saw all 4 of them, in convoy on the Parkway just before Park Square last Thursday on my way home about 2pm. Presumeably they'll live where they've been storing the diesel van/buses. 

I also hope that the drivers are all Polish, since the new charge points in the Interchange only have Polish instruction stickers on them :hihi:

As SPCT appear to have won the contract, that would make sense, storage location wise, but have they got enough Polish drivers? 😆

2 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

Or... an investment in the wider economy?

It is still a strain on an already (claimed to  be) stretched budget.

On 18/03/2024 at 14:53, Resident said:

I saw all 4 of them, in convoy on the Parkway just before Park Square last Thursday on my way home about 2pm. Presumeably they'll live where they've been storing the diesel van/buses. 

I also hope that the drivers are all Polish, since the new charge points in the Interchange only have Polish instruction stickers on them :hihi:

They will be stored in the interchange as far as I know. There's no way they can fit all four plus any diesel buses needed for other Sheffield routes in the Petre street yard.

Wonder where they were stored previously - they've been 'delivered' for quite a while?

They've been in storage at the manufacturer near Scarborough I believe. They were only delivered whichever day it was when all four were in the interchange.

5 minutes ago, NERVY-OWL said:

They've been in storage at the manufacturer near Scarborough I believe. They were only delivered whichever day it was when all four were in the interchange.

OK - looking at the reg. of the of the one in the pictures on here, I can believe that. The one I saw somewhere in a SYMCA publicity shot on this forum - last year - must have been running on trade plates unless the shot was taken at the ADL factory.

On 18/03/2024 at 00:50, Irene Swaine said:

Well, you've got your wish Ms Macbeth. 52a to Wisewood is go! Will you be using it, out of curiosity?

Yes.  I used it often before it was discontinued.  

2 hours ago, RollingJ said:

OK - looking at the reg. of the of the one in the pictures on here, I can believe that. The one I saw somewhere in a SYMCA publicity shot on this forum - last year - must have been running on trade plates unless the shot was taken at the ADL factory.

Maybe. I know last week was the first time they'd been in Sheffield with SPCT, wether they've had one before that but nothing to do with the bus company I wouldn't know.

• Like 1

On 18/03/2024 at 15:07, RollingJ said:

It is still a strain on an already (claimed to  be) stretched budget.

From what I’ve been told from a reliable source; it’s directly funded by Sheffield City Council, but as they can’t procure bus services directly, they have asked SYMCA to manage the process.

Apparently it’s part of a funding pot to improve access to the city centre. Shame they can’t also provide SYMCA cash to remove the bus shelters and re-install new ones on Arundel Gate. 

14 minutes ago, Michael_N said:

From what I’ve been told from a reliable source; it’s directly funded by Sheffield City Council, but as they can’t procure bus services directly, they have asked SYMCA to manage the process.

Apparently it’s part of a funding pot to improve access to the city centre. Shame they can’t also provide SYMCA cash to remove the bus shelters and re-install new ones on Arundel Gate. 

So we are paying for it  - via the Community Charge. Obviously the City Council can't procure services, so they ask their friends to 'manage' it.

SYCMA have been doing absolutely zero about the shelter situation for at least the past four years - and not just that shambles on Arundel Gate, either.