Improving Economic Growth

4 hours ago, El Cid said:

Adults economically inactive due to ill-health rose from 2.1m in July 2019 to a peak of 2.8m in October 2023, said the Resolution Foundation.

The rise in long-term sickness leaves the UK as the only G7 economy not to have returned to its pre-pandemic employment rate, according to the Foundation.

0.7 million people not working due to the length of the NHS waiting list?

It's partly due to long waiting lists I'm sure, but also debilitating long covid (which is a very real thing) and other side effects will be taking their toll both physically and mentally. This is going to cause huge problems as it is difficult to prove to the satisfaction of the DWP.  But that doesn't mean it is of no consequence, or that people are scamming. Some will literally be unable to get out of bed with fatigue and in no fit state to work.

I also think disillusionment and  Depression is becoming endemic in the population (IMO) and that's not helping either...

3 hours ago, Anna B said:

It's partly due to long waiting lists I'm sure, but also debilitating long covid (which is a very real thing) and other side effects will be taking their toll both physically and mentally. This is going to cause huge problems as it is difficult to prove to the satisfaction of the DWP.  But that doesn't mean it is of no consequence, or that people are scamming. Some will literally be unable to get out of bed with fatigue and in no fit state to work.

I also think disillusionment and  Depression is becoming endemic in the population (IMO) and that's not helping either...

You are saying its partly long COVID, but other countries had COVID and there workforce is now back at pre-COVID levels. We could have had more cases of COVID than other countries, but enough to have an effect on the workforce?

🤣🤣🤣

Long covid 

🤣🤣🤣

Apparently people with Long Covid are 25% more likely to be unemployed.

37 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

Well they would wouldn't they,  it would sap their energy.

4 minutes ago, cressida said:

Well they would wouldn't they,  it would sap their energy.

Crap covid is just a virus when it's gone it's gone not like pdsd...

46 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

Got any evidence to back that up?

2 minutes ago, gaz678 said:

Crap covid is just a virus when it's gone it's gone not like pdsd...

Thank you Dr. But it's the after effects of the virus

7 minutes ago, Delayed said:

Thank you Dr. But it's the after effects of the virus

I never got any after effects 😕 

6 minutes ago, gaz678 said:

I never got any after effects 😕 

Well done you. I've never had PTSD but I know it's real 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, El Cid said:

Some crafty wording there from DWP. Of course it will be at a record high considering the population keeps going up. The number of people on payrolls as a percentage of the working age population would likely tell you a different story.

A spokesperson for the DWP said: "Our plan for the economy is working. Inflation [the rate at which prices rise] is down to 3.4%, employment is up, the number of people on payrolls is at a record high, and inactivity is falling.

25 minutes ago, Mister Gee said:

Got any evidence to back that up?

https://www.gavi.org/vaccineswork/thousands-people-uk-are-out-work-due-long-covid

Almost 2 million people in the UK are estimated to be living with long COVID – after-effects of COVID that can persist for months or even years after the initial infection.

Common symptoms include fatigue, breathlessness, muscle and joint pain, cognitive impairment and sleep disruption. People with long COVID also have a higher risk of developing serious heart and lung problems, stroke and blood clots compared to those who have not previously been diagnosed with COVID.

Studies from multiple countries have found that long COVID is linked to an increased likelihood of not working. For example, US research found long COVID was associated with 23% higher odds of being unemployed and 16% lower odds of working full-time (25% for those with cognitive symptoms).

We analysed data from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) to assess the situation in the UK, and similarly found long COVID to be strongly associated with being out of work.