Frank Hester's Racist Comments About Diane Abbott

SheffieldForum

The thread has been derailed several times.

Please discuss the topic and stop with the personal comments and digs.

Thank you.

Message added by SheffieldForum

12 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

The argument is NOT about whether Hester  "intended"  to be racist.   It's about  whether his remarks,  WERE or WERE NOT  racist.

For the avoidance of doubt: they were.

8 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

For the avoidance of doubt: they were.

In your opinion.

In my opinion, and racism is a subjective matter, they were not.

But it is all irrelevant anyway because they were made in a private meeting.

Or do you think people's private meetings should also be censored ? Along with their very thoughts one presumes.

"Sheffield Forum"', should he be up before Ofcom for bias ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Chekhov said:

In your opinion.

Or do you think people's private meetings should also be censored ? Along with their very thoughts one presumes.

In my opinion (which apparently can't be wrong, because opinions can't be wrong) it isn't a subjective matter.

Either the comments were racist and misogynistic, or they weren't. In my apparently-unable-to-be-wrong opinion they were.

Also in my unable-to-be-wrong opinion, the meeting wasn't private, it was a business meeting and in any case it is irrelevant because the comments have since become public. In my unable-to-be-wrong opinion racist comments are racist comments whether said behind closed doors or not.

The comments were racist.

26 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

The argument is NOT about whether Hester  "intended"  to be racist.   It's about  whether his remarks,  WERE or WERE NOT  racist.

I take it that you don't agree with the official Tory view,  as stated by Sunak,  when he said that what Hester said was racist and wrong.   

As I said,  it's hard to tie you down to a honest straight forward answer.

I say that Sunak was right for once in his life and Hester was being racist.

In my opinion the argument should be whether Frank Hester intended to be racist.  He certainly did not intend Diane Abbott to hear the alleged comments reported.  When Diane Abbott did hear the alleged comments he did the gentlemanly think and offered an apology which should have been an end of the matter in my opinion. 

Do think Rishi Sunak is only right when he shares the same opinion as yourself?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Organgrinder said:

Why does the official Westminster view,  including that of Sunak's,   not coincide with yours then ?

"You just have to accept that other people have different views from you"

Ring any bells?

14 minutes ago, Axe said:

In my opinion the argument should be whether Frank Hester intended to be racist.

You can be racist without intending to be racist.

17 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

In my opinion (which apparently can't be wrong, because opinions can't be wrong) it isn't a subjective matter.

Either the comments were racist and misogynistic, or they weren't. In my apparently-unable-to-be-wrong opinion they were.

Also in my unable-to-be-wrong opinion, the meeting wasn't private, it was a business meeting and in any case it is irrelevant because the comments have since become public. In my unable-to-be-wrong opinion racist comments are racist comments whether said behind closed doors or not.

The comments were racist.

Racism is usually treated by police as a public order offence. If the comments were racist, which I don't believe they were and were said in a confidential meeting where the target of such was not present, I can't see how an offence has been committed. 

4 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

Racism is usually treated by police as a public order offence. If the comments were racist, which I don't believe they were and were said in a confidential meeting where the target of such was not present, I can't see how an offence has been committed. 

It has been reported to the police and they are investigating it.

38 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

In your opinion.

I think that you can be racist in private.

In fact, I bet that most racists only show their true colours in private.

Hester wasn’t talking in private anyway. He was at work.

19 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

You can be racist without intending to be racist.

You can be racist whilst pretending not to be racist.

You see plenty of that on here, for example.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Axe said:

In my opinion the argument should be whether Frank Hester intended to be racist.  He certainly did not intend Diane Abbott to hear the alleged comments reported.  When Diane Abbott did hear the alleged comments he did the gentlemanly think and offered an apology which should have been an end of the matter in my opinion. 

Do think Rishi Sunak is only right when he shares the same opinion as yourself?

My bold:  Your opinion seems to be different from everyone else's then because we are all debating whether he was Racist or not,  rather than his intentions which is a ploy to exonerate him.

What I was asking you is,  do you think that Sunak is wrong when he he says that Hester's remarks were  "racist and wrong".  

I have already told you that Hester HAS NOT apologised for making racist and misogynist remarks  -  he has simply apologised for making RUDE remarks  -  a big difference.

It's not important to me whether Sunak is right or wrong.  I had made my decision that Hester was being racist and misogynist,  long before Sunak was forced to declare his view.

• Like 1

so who thinks the tories should give the money back?