Active Travel: How Much Is Too Much?

18 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Bikes have gears you know. ...

No!  Really?  Blimey.

22 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Anyone with a moderate level of fitness can get around with little problem.

'Getting around' ≠ older/tubby/unfit/unsteady/road-wary folk pedalling around, and especially not pedalling up Granville Road and City Road from town to Manor Top.  Other hills are also available. 

32 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

With an electric bike even the steepest hill is no problem.

Excellent!  £1000 e-bikes for all!

As I said:

1 hour ago, Hecate said:

Great for students and other centre-dwellers zipping around the city centre between lectures or nipping to the local shops.

Not at all practical for many.

27 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Bikes have gears you know.  Anyone with a moderate level of fitness can get around with little problem.

It won't be for everyone, but many trips made in cars are very short and could easily be done on foot or by bike.

I would love an electric bike in theory.  I don’t have one for 2 main reasons.  The first is that the standard of driving is appalling and I’m not prepared to risk using one on our roads. The second is that they are very prized target for thieves.  I know of a burglary where thieves targeted a house where they knew there was an e bike and went to great lengths to get it (they were disturbed by the occupier and failed fortunately.  And this wasn’t in a rough area or in the middle of the night.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Padders said:

lets not forget that Rogets fought in 2 World Wars for the freedom of speech..

:hihi:

I'd forgotten about that one.

Rogets is one of the most sensible posters on here.  He uses a lot of common sense in his posts.

1 minute ago, hackey lad said:

Rogets is one of the most sensible posters on here.  He uses a lot of common sense in his posts.

:thumbsup:

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Which hallucinogenic drug have you taken today? 😀

Edited by RollingJ

1 hour ago, Mr Bloke said:

Hmmm... :huh:

I don't think that's true at all, Mr Rolling.

The main aim of the forum is now obviously to get more people to post more posts, thereby increasing the perceived popularity of the forum (and potential advertising revenue) while at the same time trying to maintain an inclusive wokey image that everyone is equal.

Anyone who sits back and observes what is really happening on here will soon become aware of the fact that many forum posts are now not a true indication of reality... :roll:

Not at all.

More posts are obviously good, but it’s about engaging fairly.

Not sure what you mean about ‘woke’ or ‘not a true reflection of reality’. That sounds like hyperbolic nonsense to me.

Everyone has the opportunity to start threads and comment, however they please (within the site terms), which is why I took exception to the namecalling and pile on of a poster in this thread who was seemingly engaging ok. 

I might not know the full history there, but in this case their posts were on topic and open to be discussed and debated until some jumped on them for who they were rather than counter-pointing his posts.

And that’s the final say in the matter — any more comments about the site or moderation should be directed to the feedback forum or help desk.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Padders said:

Being daft myself, I like Rogets posts.

As you say, he's been around for a long time, lets not forget that Rogets fought in 2 World Wars for the freedom of speech..

Please respect these old soldiers...

Don't knock it, I am 62 and I never expected the country to end up like this

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Planner1 said:

Bikes have gears you know.  Anyone with a moderate level of fitness can get around with little problem.

It won't be for everyone, but many trips made in cars are very short and could easily be done on foot or by bike.

Exactly

5 hours ago, rogets said:

Why not work out where the best schools are in Sheffield, and simply buy a house near that school?

I think this was your best point, rogets.  You should tell us more about that.