Looking To Rent A Barge In Sheffield To Live On

Not a corporate  holiday  but where I can live with my 2 cats and dog who are very well behaved  . I'm employed,  non smoker.

Can anyone help please?

go down to the canal basin and ask in the office

2 hours ago, sheffborn&bred said:

Not a corporate  holiday  but where I can live with my 2 cats and dog who are very well behaved  . I'm employed,  non smoker.

Can anyone help please?

Before committing to renting a boat make sure you have worked out running  costs. On YouTube their is a channel called ' Sort of Interesting ' Dan has lived on boats for years he goes into costs involved and the pro's and cons of boat living. 

• Like 1

Lived on one in the past, most important thing is that you call them narrowboats not barges.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Palomar said:

Lived on one in the past, most important thing is that you call them narrowboats not barges.

I know a lad who worked on one delivering to the Indian restaurant's down Attercliffe.

They were known as "The onion bhajis"

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

dont worry the beers a bit strong this week at padders bar,ever thought of buying a floating boat padders with a bar of course

On 10/03/2024 at 19:28, Padders said:

I know a lad who worked on one delivering to the Indian restaurant's down Attercliffe.

They were known as "The onion bhajis"

bar with that joke

Unfortunately there’s no chance at Victoria Quays, the management don’t allow the renting of Narrowboats. There’s lots of legal requirements put into place by Canal and River Trust for the owner, It’s not cheap to rent a boat out legally, with things like fire regulations, Gas regulation,  business insurance, increased licence fees. 
 People have this idea  of living on a boat as it’s cheap, it’s not any more, I don’t know anyone that does it on the canal and have lived on a boat for the last 15 year.

• Thanks 1

On 10/03/2024 at 11:15, Palomar said:

Our Barge Nidd was moored in the basin at one time , she weighed 60 tons and was 61 feet long by 14ft wide . She carried Coal into Sheffield in the war and steel out, built in 1936 of  iron ,   She is now in Switzerland and used as a Hotel boat 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MickeyDuff said:

Unfortunately there’s no chance at Victoria Quays, the management don’t allow the renting of Narrowboats. There’s lots of legal requirements put into place by Canal and River Trust for the owner, It’s not cheap to rent a boat out legally, with things like fire regulations, Gas regulation,  business insurance, increased licence fees. 
 People have this idea  of living on a boat as it’s cheap, it’s not any more, I don’t know anyone that does it on the canal and have lived on a boat for the last 15 year.

Canal and River trust have now made it impossible for poorer people to live on the water , the moorings and licence have gone through the roof plus the upkeep of the boat , My daughter lives on her boat in York , the mooring fee 6 grand it’s for the rich now , just the same as owning a electric car or travelling by train and so on .

20 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

Canal and River trust have now made it impossible for poorer people to live on the water , the moorings and licence have gone through the roof plus the upkeep of the boat , My daughter lives on her boat in York , the mooring fee 6 grand it’s for the rich now , just the same as owning a electric car or travelling by train and so on .

That's a shame.

It was always a thought that I'd like to buy/rent and live on one...one day. I was talking to a bloke that volunteers at the small dock near Greenland Road. The numbers he was talking to buy one were eye watering. Then the cost you mention...I think I'll leave it as 'a thought'

47 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

Our Barge Nidd was moored in the basin at one time , she weighed 60 tons and was 61 feet long by 14ft wide . She carried Coal into Sheffield in the war and steel out, built in 1936 of  iron ,   She is now in Switzerland and used as a Hotel boat 

How many years ago was that?  Twenty plus I imagine, times have changed a lot since then and as said above prices for licensing and mooring fees have risen considerably.

Also renting has been clamped down on be CaRT due to sub-letting and lack of accountability for the rented boat.  This all came about from the rented boats in popular high housing price areas like London and the K&A canal.

You could quite easy rent a house in Sheffield for less than the cost of renting a boat if you had to pay boat rent, licence and mooring fees.

The yearly licence for the boat mentioned above would roughly be aprox £1650  and for a decent leisure moorings anything from £3.5k-£5k if you can find them for that size. add on insurance, running cost and maintenance, not as cheap as people imagine.

• Like 1

When I lived on one I approached a farmer with a field adjoining the canal and said how much to moor here half the year, all I need to do is walk across the field and through the gate to the road? We agreed on about £700 a year. The rest of the year I moved about, you could stay at any public mooring for 2 weeks for nothing. There was an annual fee for using canals,  that was a bit more but not eye watering. Electricity came from a wind generator and the engine when moving charging up leisure batteries. Heat from coal, Gas from large bottles.

It all came to much less than I was renting the house out for.