How Long Should A Councillor Take To Respond?

our 3 lib/dems get things done ,they saved our festival ,when the council inc MP failed,they work with the groups and visit ,so helpfull , they should be in charge .

3 minutes ago, El Cid said:

In my local area a couple of times, email to the local council were not getting through.

I generally find reporting via the smartphone app very good, but if its something that they cannot solve, no action will be taken.

No point in going via a councillor, just message the police directly.

You are not reading what is posted, I don't think. MY issue is one which they can, and should sort out - without going into too much detail, it is a public safety issue and one which has been reported by others prior to my email - having spoken to one of those who reported the issue over two months ago, they were assured it would be dealt with quickly - obviously some councils idea of 'quickly' differs greatly from mine.

I sent an email to my local policing team, on Thursday 7th, I hope to get a response this week.

On 06/03/2024 at 17:40, The_DADDY said:

Anyone know? I've contacted my local councillor by email twice recently,  no acknowledgement, no reply to the email sent on Feb 18th 

Is this normal?

There is a BIG difference between councillors.

I have had to deal with a few of my local councillors a few times over the last 5 years or so. 

The worst was Francyne Johnson who rarely answered an E mail and never answered her phone.

The best was Julie Grocutt who almost always answered an E Mail with in a day or so and usually answered her phone.

In the middle was Penny Baker.

As an aside it was pure bad luck that in this very serious issue (to me ay any rate) I had at the time it was Ms Johnson who I first saw at her surgery so it was her I had to mainly deal with, and the fact she was impossible to contact meant that I ended up not getting the redress I should have done out of SIV.

I find it strange that MPs and Councillors are discouraged from tackling issues outside of their own constituency.

What about competition, surely its great if a councillor from outside of your area is willing to get involved?

I've contacted both Councillors and MPs and not had any reply at all. 

I've also had the bog standard reply 'We thank you for your enquiry' letter, which is worse than useless.

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

I've contacted both Councillors and MPs and not had any reply at all. 

I've also had the bog standard reply 'We thank you for your enquiry' letter, which is worse than useless.

As I mentioned earlier Anna there is a BIG difference in how conscientious different councillors are.....

22 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

As I mentioned earlier Anna there is a BIG difference in how conscientious different councillors are.....

My local police did respond in around a week, but they are not office based.

I asked a councillor how many enquiries they get per week and he said around 20, but if there are 3 councillors per wards, the high profile councillor might get most of the enquiries.

But they could work together, if they are from the same party.

Councillors and MPs should all hold surgeries in their constituences but don't. 

I think some of them think themselves too grand to bother with the problems of the 'little people...'

45 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Councillors and MPs should all hold surgeries in their constituences but don't. 

I think some of them think themselves too grand to bother with the problems of the 'little people...'

Councillor Karen McGowan, holds 3 surgeries per month, other councillors do similar; but of course we all mainly contact them online.

I've still not had a reply or even an acknowledgement to my emails. He didn't answer the phone either 🙄

I'd be tempted to turn up at a full council meeting and ask your question there. Mention in your question (when speaking) that you have tried to contact your councillor directly about the issue but haven't had a response in weeks so feel compelled to attend and as formally.

That'll embarrass them into action (and create a public record of it).