Sheffield Transport Bus Lively Question.

Does anyone know when Sheffield Transport buses changed from the blue and cream livery used on the trams to I think the dark brown with lighter brown scheme? 

Was there a colour scheme between the above mentioned ones I need this information for a project I'm doing .

CREAM & DARK BLUE were SHEFFIELD TRANSPORT Dept

SOUTH YORKSHIRE PASSENGER TRANSPORT EXECUTIVE = SYPTE

changed them in 1974 to SYTAN & CREAM ( or Coffee & Cream to most people ) 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Yep. To confirm the last post, when Sheffield Transport along with Rotherham transport and Doncaster transport became South Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive in 1974, the various liveries changed to brown and cream, although it took several attempts to reach the finished article, a lighter shade of dark brown giving way to a darker shade of dark brown if that makes sense, and several years for all the fleets to be re liveried.

Edited by YorkieontheTyne
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, YorkieontheTyne said:

Yep. To confirm the last post, when Sheffield Transport along with Rotherham transport and Doncaster transport became South Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive in 1974, the various liveries changed to brown and cream, although it took several attempts to reach the finished article, a lighter shade of dark brown giving way to a darker shade of dark brown if that makes sense, and several years for all the fleets to be re liveried.

Do they still change the wheel colour from blue or red depending on who's running the city?

14 minutes ago, beezerboy said:

Do they still change the wheel colour from blue or red depending on who's running the city?

No - they are usually silver or black.

Here are the four liveries in my "collection". The original 1974 "Coffee and Cream" was awful; it went down so badly with local people that they darkened the "Coffee"! The old Cream  and Dark Blue was always popular.

Liveries.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, beezerboy said:

Which wheel are you referring to?

The reason I'm asking is I am building an 00 gauge model railway based on Attercliffe the time frame been late 1970s to early 1980s. I'm not aiming to do an extract reconstruction of how it looked before the mass demolition of the area it would be a massive undertaking the layout would be be huge! But choosing certain buildings that are interesting has as well has road running through the layout hence the bus question. 

1 hour ago, hillsbro said:

Here are the four liveries in my "collection". The original 1974 "Coffee and Cream" was awful; it went down so badly with local people that they darkened the "Coffee"! The old Cream  and Dark Blue was always popular.

Liveries.jpg

Thanks for the photos got to agree the blue and cream looked good the brown version is ok perhaps they were thinking it was more practical.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hillsbro said:

Liveries.jpg

Thanks for those hillsbro, those phots take me back. Ok the AEC is preserved but it was a distinguished livery back in the day. The Daimler bottom left was the only one to receive that variation of the colour scheme, with the dark brown extending so far up the lower panels.

53 minutes ago, GabrielC said:

The reason I'm asking is I am building an 00 gauge model railway based on Attercliffe the time frame been late 1970s to early 1980s. I'm not aiming to do an extract reconstruction of how it looked before the mass demolition of the area it would be a massive undertaking the layout would be be huge! But choosing certain buildings that are interesting has as well has road running through the layout hence the bus question. 

GabrielC. The ones you want are top right and bottom left for the era you’re modelling, although as I said above that’s the only one with that much dark brown at the bottom. All the others the dark brown stopped at that line you can see that runs along the side around halfway up the wheels. Top left is too early, bottom right is much later. Good luck with your endeavours..

• Like 1

If anyone knows a place that sells the correct livery in 1/76 scale please feel free to say were I can buy it. So far I have found nothing .