Changes To Stagecoach Tram Tickets From 22/03/24

2 minutes ago, Andy C said:

government provide funding for free bus travel between 0930 and 2300 Monday to Friday and bus travel any time on Saturday, Sundays and bank holidays.

Anything above and beyond the above is funded by the local authority, in the case of South Yorkshire local taxpayers fund free tram travel, half price train travel for local residents and free bus & tram travel for disabled pass holders before 0930.

There is also an issue in some areas where the local authority has to reimburse operators for more free travel than the government provided funding for, this especially impacts areas with plenty of tourists.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andy C said:

government provide funding for free bus travel between 0930 and 2300 Monday to Friday and bus travel any time on Saturday, Sundays and bank holidays.

Anything above and beyond the above is funded by the local authority, in the case of South Yorkshire local taxpayers fund free tram travel, half price train travel for local residents and free bus & tram travel for disabled pass holders before 0930.

The way I read it was that the local transport authority can claim back even for tram travel under ENCTS. 

Obviously if there is somewhere that says otherwise, I’m happy to be corrected!

But also — even if not… what is the issue? Again isn’t our authority doing the right thing with these concessions?

1 minute ago, SheffieldForum said:

The way I read it was that the local transport authority can claim back even for tram travel under ENCTS. 

But also — even if not… what is the issue? Again isn’t our authority doing the right thing with these concessions?

Quite honestly, I have two questions - how many ENCTS pass-holders from outside the area visit us, and why should we fund their travel?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

What are you "...reading..."?

I am reading the 'The Concessionary Bus Travel Act 2007' which provides for a statutory guarantee of free off-peak travel for eligible older and disabled people on local bus services anywhere in England. Amendments and revisions created Travel Concession Authorities (TCAs)  who are responsible  for the ENCTS subsidy provided by the Government for bus passengers who qualify by age and disability. Nowhere in the Act is there any mention of other forms of Transport. As has been said there are other bits of funding, legislation and powers that some TCAs  may have that enable a specific subsidy. 

We in Sheffield benefit from a Derbyshire Wayfarer Rover(rail and bus) which any ENCTS holder can get for £7.70 so maybe we should be careful with deals that benefit us.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

What are you "...reading..."?

I am reading the 'The Concessionary Bus Travel Act 2007' which provides for a statutory guarantee of free off-peak travel for eligible older and disabled people on local bus services anywhere in England. Amendments and revisions created Travel Concession Authorities (TCAs)  who are responsible  for the ENCTS subsidy provided by the Government for bus passengers who qualify by age and disability. Nowhere in the Act is there any mention of other forms of Transport. As has been said there are other bits of funding, legislation and powers that some TCAs  may have that enable a specific subsidy. 

We in Sheffield benefit from a Derbyshire Wayfarer Rover(rail and bus) which any ENCTS holder can get for £7.70 so maybe we should be careful with deals that benefit us.

I've literally just closed down all the tabs I read! But, there was definitely a section on a transport authority having the power to extend to other services, such as trams. If I get time again later I may try and find it.

BUT - again, so what?! Why does it matter? Surely we want to do the right thing in our region and if that right thing is allowing visitors to use their disability concession pass for travel then why not?

17 hours ago, Resident said:

Interestingly if you've got a disabled pass + carer from another county the carer element isn't valid outside the issuing county. 

unless the authority you are travelling in has an agreement with the issuing county. 

6 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

I've literally just closed down all the tabs I read! But, there was definitely a section on a transport authority having the power to extend to other services, such as trams. If I get time again later I may try and find it.

BUT - again, so what?! Why does it matter? Surely we want to do the right thing in our region and if that right thing is allowing visitors to use their disability concession pass for travel then why not?

YES, TCAs they do, but it is NOT through ENCTS funding or legislation as I have just told you that some TCAs have "... other bits of funding, legislation and powers that some TCAs  may have that enable a specific subsidy".  Some will use ENCTS  pass as proof of entitlement, age and residence. Showing the ENCTS pass on the trams around the country does not link to Government subsidy -it does on a bus.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sheffbag said:

unless the authority you are travelling in has an agreement with the issuing county. 

It'll scan as a carer pass if that's the case.

19 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

As far as I am aware, citywide is bus only.

You can get city wide for bus and tram

1 hour ago, Resident said:

It'll scan as a carer pass if that's the case.

The companion element of the pass would be accepted provided the authority travelled in accepts it. if not then it just scans as a disabled/blind pass with no comp ticket. All depends on the authority you are travelling in

The South Yorkshire Mayor (Oliver Coppard) who is implementing the new publicly owned company that are taking over the trams still hasn't made any announcements but the understanding is the only thing that will change ticketing wise is that Stagecoach only tickets will no longer include tram as it will no longer be a Stagecoach service.

So the  Stagecoach bus products like MegaRider Silver and MegaRider Gold will continue to be valid on Stagecoach buses but no longer include tram. https://www.stagecoachbus.com/promos-and-offers/yorkshire/changes-to-tickets-march-24

Travelmaster products - such as Sheffield CityWide and South Yorkshire Connect - which include ALL operators will not change.  https://www.sytravelmaster.com/. These are the tickets you will need to buy if you want to combine bus and tram travel in South Yorkshire on one ticket.

Tram only tickets are expected to continue to exist in the same format and price but no longer be sold by the Stagecoach app or website after the operator change. They will continue to be available from vending machines, conductors etc along with a new Travel South Yorkshire app.

Concessionary passes valid on all operators that are funded by the South Yorkshire Mayor I'd also expect to continue unchanged (imagine stopping them just before an election....)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Andy C said:

Concessionary passes valid on all operators that are funded by the South Yorkshire Mayor I'd also expect to continue unchanged (imagine stopping them just before an election....)

Traveline confirmed that SY ENCTS Disability would  be accepted for free all-day travel.