London Chemical Attack

18 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

My Red Bold:

It's because they don't want them in jail due to the jails being already overcrowded,  and they don't want to spend more money on the prison service when they could give it to their pals in tax cuts.

They never think about clamping down on prisons so they are not such nice places to be and tackling the crime wave in that way.

Watching TV,  playing computer games,  etc etc.      What about lots and lots of work and very little  fun instead.

Also  -  Really and truly clamp down on drugs and alcohol in prisons  -  that should be quite easy if the will was there.

Make their prison time truly match their behaviour.

Exactly it is all about the money, prison will rehabilitate a lot of offenders but there are a lot that couldn't care less and just reoffend. I wonder what the ratio of reoffenders to reformed prisoners was when they had hard labour and no tv's etc in their cells compared to today. 

A question actually: does trying to keep people with mental health needs out of prison where possible and safe for others count as "do-gooding"? Because it could be seen as a bit liberal, a bit pinko, a bit Guardian reader.

2 minutes ago, Delbow said:

A question actually: does trying to keep people with mental health needs out of prison where possible and safe for others count as "do-gooding"? Because it could be seen as a bit liberal, a bit pinko, a bit Guardian reader.

Yes.

1 hour ago, RollingJ said:

Interesting - how many have been deported then? And why he only got a suspended sentence is strange - possibly.

Not sure about numbers. You could put an FOI through for specifics. 

I think he only got a suspended sentence because there is a rumour he is a flasher 

3 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

Yes.

So the solution is to put 90% of the population in prison.

3 minutes ago, Delayed said:

Not sure about numbers. You could put an FOI through for specifics. 

I think he only got a suspended sentence because there is a rumour he is a flasher 

I could do that, if I was really that bothered, but I assumed you had something to back up you statement.

13 minutes ago, Delbow said:

I wouldn't count that as do-gooding.  We all know that there are genuine cases where people get involved with the law due to mental health problem which are not addressed.

We need to be a caring society but  far less accepting of serious crime,  especially that committed be people we have have welcomed into our country.

I say especially those people because they,  in particular,   are the reason for much of the anti-asylum  rhetoric we hear and it's hard to argue that they deserve our compassion as such.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Delbow said:

So the solution is to put 90% of the population in prison.

Sounds good to me.

Less traffic, more parking spaces, less crime.

What's not to like.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

I could do that, if I was really that bothered, but I assumed you had something to back up you statement.

Not off the top of my head but Deportations do happen

26 minutes ago, Delbow said:

I don’t think it is.  But of course, there are degrees of mental illness and there are those who will feign or exaggerate mental illness as mitigation for their crime. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pfifes said:

I don’t think it is.  But of course, there are degrees of mental illness and there are those who will feign or exaggerate mental illness as mitigation for their crime. 

Indeed.

Mental elf is the new go to when someone is an absolute tosser.

What ever happened to some people just being horrible and nasty?  Why does there always have to be something allegedly wrong with them.