As per title - can anyone recommend a decent paint/primer etc to cover water stains on a ceiling before re-painting? I have looked at reviews of products and not found anything worth buying  - even Ronseal got bad reviews.

Thank you

50 minutes ago, lindylou53 said:

As per title - can anyone recommend a decent paint/primer etc to cover water stains on a ceiling before re-painting? I have looked at reviews of products and not found anything worth buying  - even Ronseal got bad reviews.

Thank you

I am assuming that you are thinking of the possibility of a future leak, if so best to fix the leak. If not I have re-painted ceiling stains following leaks and just used several coats of the paint planned for the ceiling.

I had a water leak from bathroom onto kitchen ceiling.  I looked on Utube, their advise was:  let it dry then wash well with bleach, allow to dry then paint.  It worked a treat.

Good luck.

I recently had water stains on a ceiling around a chimney breast (leak since resolved) and found that several coats of the ceiling paint only provided a temporary solution, with the stain eventually bleeding through each time. Final solution (so far) appears to be a thin, smooth, coating of left-over white gloss, allowed to dry and then over-painting with the desired ceiling paint.

I think joojoo's bleach method looks promising though, and with no faffing about cleaning gloss paint from a brush.

Thanks for replies and suggestions everyone!

58 minutes ago, horribleblob said:

I recently had water stains on a ceiling around a chimney breast (leak since resolved) and found that several coats of the ceiling paint only provided a temporary solution, with the stain eventually bleeding through each time. Final solution (so far) appears to be a thin, smooth, coating of left-over white gloss, allowed to dry and then over-painting with the desired ceiling paint.

I think joojoo's bleach method looks promising though, and with no faffing about cleaning gloss paint from a brush.

:thumbsup:

Oil based undercoat to block the stain then emulsion.