How Many Passed The 11 Plus?

From a small church school and a class of around 20; we had 4 off to High Storrs 1 to King Teds and 1 to Firth Park.

For me that entailed 5 years of early rising 2 buses and a period of missing my proper mates who went to local schools.

Several went on to Central Tech aged 13 ?

Most office jobs were asking 5 O levels including English and Maths so I did get a start when I left school.

@daveannjon Ian Wileman was in the same intake as me at High Storrs

I passed my 11 plus in 1959 when I was at whitby Road school . I went to Marlcliffe school which was about as far away as I could have been from the Manor  Estate where I lived . I was out of the house longer than when I started work at Hadfields in 1964.

One thing that came as a bit of a shock to a football mad youngster like me was that the school only played rugby union and cricket.

St Mary's Walkley had 8 boys in my year (I think 24 pupils in total), 4 of whom took 11+, 2 of whom passed - including me.  I went to King Edward VII - bit of a shock as 120 in my year and all boys and all bright!

I took the exam in 1955.  I'd been "top girl" all through the juniors.  Went straight from third year of juniors into 4th year.  Only two girls passed.  They were very close friends the dad of one had a top job at what was known as "The Education." They even passed to the same school.

My mum was a widow and I found out years later it was thought widows would not be able to afford the uniform, extra fares and other extras needed by grammar school children. It was also thought widows' children would be expected to leave at 15 for economic reasons.  At the time women not paid at same rate as men.

Don't know if the girls' father was able to provide extra  schooling, test papers or other extra revision for the girls or some other reason they passed.

I went to secondary school and was put straight into the second year of the seniors.  Class of 42.

Looking back lots of children appeared to fail for similar reasons

• Like 1

Like Meltman I passed in 1960 and went to Abbeydale Boys Grammar. We were one of the first lot.  I went to Oakwood. A private school pushing us for the 11plus.  Out of, I think, 3 classes of 30 that year only 1 person failed. Could be a memory fail........ Went staight to the bottom of the Grammar School year for all subjects except English.  Got a 3 O levels which is B all. Think I would have been better at Tech school.  Bit late to 'cry over spilt milk' being nearly 74.

• Like 1

Passed it in 66 went to Firth Park,strange having no girls.

15 hours ago, ukdobby said:

Passed it in 66 went to Firth Park,strange having no girls.

High Storrs was similar.

The same building housed both boys and girls schools but each in separate halves with the adjoining doors permanently locked.

There were different start times,break times and finishing times.

Very peculiar in retrospect.

Me, I went to King Edward VI Morpeth 65 ,Left after 2 weeks as it was to far to travel daily .Ended up at South Broomhill  Sec which was less than half a mile from home.

Edited by scottcross
wrong date