Audi Dealer 1970s

Over 50 years ago, I was tasked to go an pick up my dads's new company car, an Audi 100GL TWA 634L from a dealer somewhere on Ecclesall Rd South ? just below Ecclesall Church. 

Back then Audi was not the well known marque it is now and this tiny dealership reflected that. I hazily remember it being in a converted corner shop maybe on the corner of Banner Cross Road or Dunkeld Rd.

Does anyone know what the dealer's name was and where it was exactly ?

Jon 

Isle of Man

It was Gilders , They had  the VW and Audi franchise but I think VW  made them split 

But weren't Gilders on the corner of Psalter Lane/Eccy Rd? Now replaced with a new building. A friend worked for them, I had my car MOT'd there.

11 hours ago, carosio said:

But weren't Gilders on the corner of Psalter Lane/Eccy Rd? Now replaced with a new building. A friend worked for them, I had my car MOT'd there.

Did Gilder's have another showroom, like near the city centre?

1 hour ago, St Petre said:

Did Gilder's have another showroom, like near the city centre?

They used to have a showroom on Cambridge Street  at the back of what was Cole brothers/John Lewis. Their workshop was on John Street  just off Bramhall Lane. 

12 hours ago, Meltman said:

They used to have a showroom on Cambridge Street  at the back of what was Cole brothers/John Lewis. Their workshop was on John Street  just off Bramhall Lane. 

Thanks, now I remember, there was a billiard hall above it-Faulkner's I think.

• Like 1

Back then Audi was not the well known marque it is now and this tiny dealership reflected that. I hazily remember it being in a converted corner shop maybe on the corner of Banner Cross Road or Dunkeld Ruhuik  

Back then Audi was not the well known marque it is now and this tiny dealership reflected that. I hazily remember it being in a converted corner shop mBack then Audi was not the well known marque it is now and this tiny dealership reflected that. I hazily remember it being in a converted corner shop maybe on the corner of Bp mBack then Audi was not the well known marque it is now and this tiny dealership reflected that. I hazily remember it being in a converted corner shop maybe on the corner of Banner Cross Road or Dunkeld Ruhuik 

aybe Pubg Name Generator  on the corner of Banner Cross Road or Dunkeld Ruhuik anner Cross Road or Dunkeld Ruhuik aybe on the corner of Banner Cross Road or Dunkeld Ruhuik bdg 

On 20/11/2023 at 08:47, carosio said:

Wasn't that Gelders  who sold upmarket 2nd hand cars

Gilders was definitely on the corner of Psalter Lane and Ecclesall Road.