Do Polecats Live In Deepcar?

A couple of nights ago my wife was driving on Soughley Lane (from Wortley end towards Deepcar end, so heavily wooded) when an animal ran across the road in front of her. She says it was shaped like a stoat or weasel, but much bigger. The only thing that seems to fit the bill is a polecat. Does anybody know if they live in that area, or has anybody else seen one?

Did it look anything like this?

Screenshot-20231118-174643.jpg

• Haha 5

19 minutes ago, metalman said:

A couple of nights ago my wife was driving on Soughley Lane (from Wortley end towards Deepcar end, so heavily wooded) when an animal ran across the road in front of her. She says it was shaped like a stoat or weasel, but much bigger. The only thing that seems to fit the bill is a polecat. Does anybody know if they live in that area, or has anybody else seen one?

Stoats can be quite big .

It may well have been a polecat but it also could have been a mink. There are quite a few along the River Don and a coarse fishery in your area has permission to set traps for mink in order to protect fish stocks.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, charliewag said:

It may well have been a polecat but it also could have been a mink. There are quite a few along the River Don and a coarse fishery in your area has permission to set traps for mink in order to protect fish stocks.

:thumbsup:

2 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

:thumbsup:

Mink definitely seen then down there 😉

1 hour ago, The_DADDY said:

Did it look anything like this?

Screenshot-20231118-174643.jpg

Daddy, I have to say it, 

Your a star.........

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Padders said:

Daddy, I have to say it, 

Your a star.........

Cheers matey 👍 

We did think about it being a mink, but she reckons it wasn't dark enough brown for one. I'd have thought that mink was more likely than polecat.

Yes they do, you can smell them in the King & Miller each day during opening hours.