Sheffield xmas market

Should have gone to fox valley haven't been myself but photos in the star look great 😍

1 hour ago, Jack Grey said:

It's only mid-November 🙄

Maybe your need some Xmas spirit

Go again next month 

When December comes,      Will the stalls magically brighten themselves up,  will the lights change colour and will the generators disappear ?

With the best spirit in the world,  it will still be the same cheap and shoddy market it is now unless  someone's going to redo it all,  in which case,  it should have been done right first time.

If everyone who's struggling refuses to pay the prices,  they may come down but that's spoiling it for the kids.

Can we do nothing in this  "modern"  age,  that we used to do quite easily in the old days ?

Edited by Organgrinder

Go abroad if you want a proper Christmas market. 

I can personally recommend Krakow. Especially when it's snowing, place is lovely and a nice Irish pub just off the main square too. 

That doesn't sound like a very good way at all,  to enhance Sheffield and it's Christmas offerings.

Either people are seriously interested in promoting Sheffield or they are happy to see it put to shame by others.

It used to be really good.

19 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Yes they were & all the colours that I'd associate with Xmas, gold, silver, red & green.  Now most appear to be that bright blue colour, probably trying to associate it with an icy, winter feeling. 

Do you remember the old Santa's Grotto that was down the bottom end of the town centre, roughly where the current Staples build is made up of what seemed like hundreds of trees, you had to walk through to see Santa?

Late 50s / early 60s  ..............

I can remember when Sheffield's Christmas lights were the envy of other cities ( even London's lights were poor compared to Sheffield )

I too can remember the magical Santa's Grotto down the Moor.  It was like a Christmas wonderland with a little stream and bridge amongst all the lit up trees and at the end was Father Christmas.  It was lovely.

43 minutes ago, francypants said:

Late 50s / early 60s  ..............

I can remember when Sheffield's Christmas lights were the envy of other cities ( even London's lights were poor compared to Sheffield )

I too can remember the magical Santa's Grotto down the Moor.  It was like a Christmas wonderland with a little stream and bridge amongst all the lit up trees and at the end was Father Christmas.  It was lovely.

It was indeed.  I used to take my kids down there and  because we lived nearby,  they thought it was magical the way all that appeared so very quickly.

It was like walking in a real forest with lights and their faces were a treat.  Even I loved it all and thought our council must be the best in the country.

It was like living in a different England from what it is today.  It's all accountants and austerity today and the kids get nothing.  Those at the top still live the same though.

8 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

When December comes,      Will the stalls magically brighten themselves up,  will the lights change colour and will the generators disappear ?

With the best spirit in the world,  it will still be the same cheap and shoddy market it is now unless  someone's going to redo it all,  in which case,  it should have been done right first time.

If everyone who's struggling refuses to pay the prices,  they may come down but that's spoiling it for the kids.

Can we do nothing in this  "modern"  age,  that we used to do quite easily in the old days ?

the  market/pubs all belong to the funfair as they have the rights to sheffield xmas and summer markets as in cabins/pubs/funfair nothing to do with scc ,except they approved this years ago .

5 minutes ago, bassett one said:

the  market/pubs all belong to the funfair as they have the rights to sheffield xmas and summer markets as in cabins/pubs/funfair nothing to do with scc ,except they approved this years ago .

Who gave them / sold them the the rights ?  Of course it's the council.

The difference is that the old council used to do things themselves  ( and did them well, remember the parks ),   whereas everything is sold off now to save the council running everything.

Edited by Organgrinder
  • Like 1

if you look at the paperwork for the xmas market it states via scc and mr percival  who owns farrars funfairs,the story goes scc wanted the market and the funfair stepped in and paid for the cabins ,but there after hold the rights ,which is good in some ways as the city would of had nothing unless they had sorted it,but i do think it needs re-freshing but its hard due to all the works going on ,plus scc should fund something other than just the lights and that would enhance the market.

1 hour ago, bassett one said:

if you look at the paperwork for the xmas market it states via scc and mr percival  who owns farrars funfairs,the story goes scc wanted the market and the funfair stepped in and paid for the cabins ,but there after hold the rights ,which is good in some ways as the city would of had nothing unless they had sorted it,but i do think it needs re-freshing but its hard due to all the works going on ,plus scc should fund something other than just the lights and that would enhance the market.

No surprise that SCC wants stuff but doesn't want to fund it and pull in revenue afterwards. Probably knew they'd balls it up a-la Container Park. 

Sheffield is clearly operated by Bobo and the rest of the Clowncil...

2 hours ago, bassett one said:

Whatever the ins and outs of the situation,  I was pointing out that Sheffield,  in the past,  was known all over the country for it's Christmas efforts.

As I said in my earlier post,  either people are seriously interested in promoting Sheffield or they are happy to see it put to shame by others.

It simply isn't the Sheffield it was and  SCC  must bear most of the responsibility.   We are supposed to make progress forwards,  not backwards.

Get saving if you want to go to Chatsworth craft fair. It'll set you back £28-00 to park your car!