COVID THREAD

12 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

It seems to be a characteristic of Conspiracy Theorists that they stick to a viewpoint when the world they find hard to explain has moved on.

Can they not imagine a world where advancing knowledge, technologies and skills reduce the time it takes to bring a new vaccine into use?

The Third Royal Institution Christmas Lecture filmed three weeks ago will inform them how unfounded and outdated their viewpoint on vaccination is.

Earlier we had some - shall we politely say CT fellow travellers -  lauding Mark Woolhouse's criticisms of the covid response without realising his praise for the rapid vaccination development.

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/topic/477887-coronavirus-part-three/page/231/?tab=comments#comment-8485627

Edited by Longcol

19 minutes ago, top4718 said:

Yeah that’s why Pfizer have buried the truth for 75 years and taken out an indemnity. 😂

Get it right.

Not Pfizer. No indemnity. Not buried.

It is all about the FDA.

The FDA-Not Pfizer that claim they cannot release all the hundreds of thousands of documents they hold in one go.

The FDA- have offered to release critical documents as requested.

The 55/75 year indemnity against legal action request by the FDA-Not Pfizer is protection from being overloaded by request and being sued for failing to produce mountains of  documents on time.

Don't you find it embarrassing that your Conspiracy Theory supplier gives you such duff anti-vaccine information?

15 hours ago, sibon said:

You only really seem to agree with yourself. Is that why you quote yourself so often?

I quote reputable sources to back up pretty much everything I say, which must be quite frustrating for suppressionists to argue with me.

I only "quote myself" if it is relevant to the post I am making, e.g. to add to it or whatever.

The simple fact is that schools are inadequately ventilated. They also need teachers in order to operate. Masks are the only way of attempting to cut transmission and keep them open. Zahawi's Dad's Army of retired teachers are nowhere in sight. So if the teachers get ill, the kids go home.

I can't imagine that most kids will object to wearing a mask if it helps them to stay in school.

Masks, certainly as worn in the real world,  make no significant difference to the transmission of Covid, if they did Wales and Scotland's Covid figures would have been better than England's between July and November, and they were not as you know.

But there are two other points :

1 - Even if they have a very small effect (the absolute best that can be argued), once downside of them is factored in they would not be mandated. Except that many people have a totally disproportionate view of Covid, epitomised by Mike Buckley :

(June 21) Labour journalist and campaigner Mike Buckley "all secondary school pupils [all 3 million of them] wearing masks would be worth it to save one life". 

I suspect you may have a similar attitude ?

2 - We do not need to be doing any of this anyway, all vulnerable people have been vaccinated and Omicron is significantly milder as well.

I can't imagine that most kids will object to wearing a mask if it helps them to stay in school.

That is strawman / false equivalence, it is not one or the other. 

15 hours ago, Jack Grey said:

>>The simple fact is that schools are inadequately ventilated. They also need teachers in order to operate. Masks are the only way of attempting to cut transmission and keep them open. Zahawi's Dad's Army of retired teachers are nowhere in sight. So if the teachers get ill, the kids go home.

I can't imagine that most kids will object to wearing a mask if it helps them to stay in school.<<

So what is the point of the vaccines?

Teachers will be double or even triple vaccinated

And why would it be any different from the cold and flu season we have had every year for the last 100 years?

Absolutely.

Because it is highly contagious. 

It isn't very complicated really. If you want schools open, you need teachers that aren't ill.

We do not need to be doing any of this, for the reasons I have given above, it is disproportionate BS.

Pop over to twitter and have a look at what the kids have done to  #Nomasksinclass. Its a bit embarrassing for the whingy adults who started it.

No normal child would want to wear a mask, in fact I'd go further, no normal rational person wants to wear a mask.

I am sure there are some kids who have been excessively influenced by their parents virtue signalling and "certainty" that masks are "saving thousands of lives". It's all BS of course, but many people are quite nieve.

Ministers decided to ditch mandatory face masks after being warned the UK economy would lose billions of pounds if people were made to wear them after 19 July.

Modelling from reviews of social distancing and mass gatherings revealed public dislike for wearing face coverings at sporting, music and arts events.

Keeping compulsory face masks could cost the events and hospitality industries more than £4bn in lost revenues, the analysis suggested.

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/ministers-ditched-face-masks-after-being-warned-the-economy-would-lose-billions-1089589

Interesting article proving that masks have a negative effect on the economy, as well as on many people's mental health.

I would go further, they have a negative effect on everyone's mental health because they stop people forgetting about all of this Covid Cobblers. But, of course, the latter is the whole point of them !

16 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Because you accused  Jenny Harries of saying ""This virus is indiscriminate(sic)"".

You continued by saying that this was "...as close to a lie as it is possible to get without actually lying, plus, of course, giving millions of people unnecessary stress and worry which they did not need to have."

Based on this you implied that she was not worthy of being made a Dame in the New years honours list.

You have produced no evidence whatsoever and  ignored the fact that it was actually said by a Government minister at a briefing that she was present at.

People like Jenny Harries are subject and open to scrutiny by other scientists, politicians,the press and the public. To this they have a right of reply.

However Conspiracy Theorists are fed with and repeat and regurgitate misinformation and then pontificate. 

I am just doing my bit to make sure that those who judge others can justify their words. 

OK Annie, you are unconvinced she said that, I know I heard her do that. Truth is I cannot be bothered to have to find and then listen back through all those Downing St Covid briefings just to prove the point.

Good plan.

Put people carrying a killer virus into poorly ventilated public buildings. If you can, make sure that there are plenty of vulnerable people in there too.

You should apply for a post in PHE. 

Bearing in mind the very high vaccine uptake in this country, and the fact healthy people under 40 are not at significant risk form it, plus Omicron is milder, relatively speaking, COVID IS NOT A "KILLER VIRUS". You may as well say FLU IS A "KILLER VIRUS". But no sensible person says that.

14 hours ago, melthebell said:

>>If they have chosen not to be jabbed, which they are perfectly entitled to do with no stigma at all, it's their own risk.<<

total ********, if you arent jabbed and get ill, and need to go to hospital, you dont really have a choice, and its a burdon on the NHS for nothing, for being stupid. what if they decide you cant go and be treated, you or your family may then get angry with the NHS and may even try to sue them, its nonsense, you cant have it both ways

THIS is BS !

If you want to be consistent you will also say that obese people should be forced to lose weight for they are taking up too much of the NHS's time and money. They are actually, but, personally speaking, I do not think fatties would be denied treatment if they do not lose weight. Well, that's most treatments, some will obviously pointless, or even dangerous, if the patient does not lose weight.

24 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

No normal child would want to wear a mask, in fact I'd go further, no normal rational person wants to wear a mask.

I am sure there are some kids who have been excessively influenced by their parents virtue signalling and "certainty" that masks are "saving thousands of lives". It's all BS of course, but many people are quite nieve.

'Normal child?'  Really?  Do you have any clue what you sound like? Take a step back, have a think, then have a word with yourself. 

16 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Because you accused  Jenny Harries of saying ""This virus is indiscriminate(sic)"".

You continued by saying that this was "...as close to a lie as it is possible to get without actually lying, plus, of course, giving millions of people unnecessary stress and worry which they did not need to have."

Based on this you implied that she was not worthy of being made a Dame in the New years honours list.

You have produced no evidence whatsoever and  ignored the fact that it was actually said by a Government minister at a briefing that she was present at.

People like Jenny Harries are subject and open to scrutiny by other scientists, politicians,the press and the public. To this they have a right of reply.

However Conspiracy Theorists are fed with and repeat and regurgitate misinformation and then pontificate. 

I am just doing my bit to make sure that those who judge others can justify their words. 

Excellent post.

On 01/01/2022 at 11:04, Chekhov said:

She definitely did say that. It was one of those JFK moments, apparently people remember where they were when that heard JFK had been killed. I was driving home and remember exactly where I was, I could not believe what I was hearing and I nearly crashed the car !

In the time I was prepared to devote to this I could only find this quote in a piece implying it was actually Robert Jenrick (government minister) who said it and he may or may not also have done so, by Harries DEFINITELY said it :

"The virus is indiscriminate, it doesn't matter who you are, where you are or how old you are.

We each have a part to play by staying at home, protecting the NHS and helping to save lives."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/coronavirus-news-latest-uk-deaths-tests-nhs-covid-19/

The press conference referred to in the Telegraph article  is from March 29th 2020.  Here it is.  Jenrick quote, 50 seconds in:

All the Downing Street press briefings are on the Downing Street channel on YouTube.  I'm sure we want to confirm the attribution.

57 minutes ago, Hecate said:

'Normal child?'  Really?  Do you have any clue what you sound like? Take a step back, have a think, then have a word with yourself. 

FIKwBR5XwAEkEV1?format=jpg&name=small

8 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

FIKwBR5XwAEkEV1?format=jpg&name=small

Oh look, another daftly enormous, though quite amusing in a silly Facebook propaganda sort of way,  image to block.