Sign in to follow this  

Credit Card Problems

Hi,
   I'm aware that, since 2008 & the World Bank Crisis followed by the re-introduction of so called "austerity" that the banks have gone downhill, but the past few years they seem to have got a LOT worse! To the stage that I feel the need to get a different set of credit-debit cards. The main cause for my present problem is Visa card who seem determined to punish me for breaking rules I was NEVER informed of, by blocking my cards. So, as seems the norm for our present version of "THE MATRIX" I'm trapped in a deliberately created "information vacuum" ( though they are probably unaware of that), & now I've worked that much out, there seems little point in complaining (@ this level) as it just gets ignored! So, @ this stage I'll back off that as getting a usable set of credit-debit cards is MUCH  more important @ this point !
  As a result of this problem, I've been trawling Google & in particular Trustpilot ( though they seem a bit shy of dealing with obviously bogus "5 star" reviews that appear to have been created by the staff of bogus/incompetent companies, scammers etc . So, in trying to obtain the truth, it seems best to pay more attention to the one star reviews (which are far more numerous than the five star reviews)  While online banking might have some benefits, it seems from the complaints on Trustpilot, if you're complaining via phone or email & therefore @ some distance, its the ideal environment for bank staff to jerk you about & give you the "run around". So, as long as a transaction can be kept simple & superficial, there's the hope that dealing directly with a local branch might be less painful? Ideally, I'd prefer a branch, with external ATM in Shiregreen, central Sheffield, or anywhere between, preferably on the # 75/76/88 bus routes & who will issue me with a current account (as it's been so long, remind me of how much I might need to put in, in order to open a new current account) & MASTER CARD & AMERICAN EXPRESS credit & debit cards. - While I'm not optimistic about finding a good bank, perhaps a "least worse" one might be an improvement over the kr@p I'm going through just now. - TIA

Cheers,
   Jim

I always find it best to save up and buy something with cash or debit card.

It's worth signing up to the email updates from Money Saving Expert Martin Lewis but don't believe any of those scam adverts that use his name and face.

• Like 1

Maybe steer clear of the online conspiracy theories too yea?  Before you become a complete nutcase.

• Like 1

Aye it sounds like you won't trust any bank mate, so it's pointless anyone helping you. 

2 hours ago, spilldig said:

I always find it best to save up and buy something with cash or debit card.

I don't disagree but credit cards offer much more buyer protection than either method you name. All my holidays as an example go on credit cards and then are immediately paid off. 

• Like 1

It is hard for me to understand what, exactly, your problem is.

However, you may be worth using the facilities of the Banking Ombudsman.

54 minutes ago, ThePilot said:

It is hard for me to understand what, exactly, your problem is.

However, you may be worth using the facilities of the Banking Ombudsman.

The OP hadn't told us what he was doing to get his accounts closed. 

4 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

The OP hadn't told us what he was doing to get his accounts closed. 

I reckon he's Nigel Farage .

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

On 24/10/2023 at 23:55, jim lyon said:

The main cause for my present problem is Visa card who seem determined to punish me for breaking rules I was NEVER informed of

You mean the rules that are published in the Terms & Conditions portion of the contract you entered with them, which you probably NEVER read? 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

Aye it sounds like you won't trust any bank mate, so it's pointless anyone helping you. 

I don't disagree but credit cards offer much more buyer protection than either method you name. All my holidays as an example go on credit cards and then are immediately paid off. 

That's what I used to think but my bank now give the same protection on debit cards.

29 minutes ago, spilldig said:

That's what I used to think but my bank now give the same protection on debit cards.

Not true, Section 75 is only applicable to credit card purchases. 

Chargebacks are very different and aren't a silver bullet.