Ranger Attacked By Off-Road Biker At Langsett Reservoir

A park ranger trying to stop a large group of off-road bikers riding at a South Yorkshire beauty spot was attacked and left with a broken jaw.

The ranger was on duty on 24 September at Langsett Reservoir when he was approached by the bikers.

As he tried to halt them, there was an altercation which left the ranger unconscious and injured.

South Yorkshire Police have now released CCTV footage of a motorcyclist they want to speak with.

The group of are believed to have left the area travelling towards Brook House Lane and on to the A616.

Sgt James Shirley said: "We are keen to identify the riders in the video and speak to them in connection to our enquiries.

"We're also appealing to anyone who may have been in the area at the time or witnessed the assault."

Presentational grey line
Edited by mart

Arrogant and 'entitled' oxygen wasters. Hope the culprits are identified and suitably punished. Bikes crushed ideally too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mart said:

Sgt James Shirley said: "We are keen to identify the riders in the video and speak to them in connection to our enquiries.

Whilst sat at his desk I expect. Unless he was working from home of course.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Ronson said:

Whilst sat at his desk I expect. Unless he was working from home of course.

Friend of mine was assaulted at work (retail). They had the whole thing on clear CCTV & even had his details from his bank card that the culprit had used just before the assault. 

Took police 3 weeks to call the victim beyond the initial report and they said "What would you like us to do about it?" 

My response would have been "your effing job" 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Resident said:

Friend of mine was assaulted at work (retail). They had the whole thing on clear CCTV & even had his details from his bank card that the culprit had used just before the assault. 

Took police 3 weeks to call the victim beyond the initial report and they said "What would you like us to do about it?" 

My response would have been "your effing job" 

Neighbour has his petrol tank drilled and drained, over £1000 of damage.

Police response?
"Well we are living in hard times"

🤮

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Pyrotequila said:

Neighbour has his petrol tank drilled and drained, over £1000 of damage.

Police response?
"Well we are living in hard times"

🤮

Time to face reality. Our law enforcement is no longer fit for purpose. They only go after easy targets.  Doing actual police work has gone out of the window. Where I work we've just taken on 3 ex police CSIs because they're disillusioned with the job, spending hours meticulously gathering evidence etc for it all to be tossed by the CPS, who then claim "lack of evidence" and dismiss the charges

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Collate all replies like that and copy them in to your complaint letter to your local council,  the public can attend to listen to discussions,  next time (probably before the G.E.)  make it your chief complaint - seems like apathy.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Resident said:

Time to face reality. Our law enforcement is no longer fit for purpose. They only go after easy targets.  Doing actual police work has gone out of the window. Where I work we've just taken on 3 ex police CSIs because they're disillusioned with the job, spending hours meticulously gathering evidence etc for it all to be tossed by the CPS, who then claim "lack of evidence" and dismiss the charges

That’s made me think of the problems with shoplifting that have been in the news recently.  Some shops haven’t so much been shoplifted as looted. Very bad.  However, I am heartily sick of clearly been ‘under suspicion’ by security staff  in certain shops and made to feel uncomfortable and I don’t think I’m alone in that.  They are clearly looking for easy targets or trying to be seen as doing their job.  It’s so counterproductive, these shops might as well stop paying for security staff altogether if they just waste time putting paying customers off coming in their stores whilst the scary bunch the security staff won’t dare deal with get away helping themselves.  And of course the police are not interested in attending shoplifting incidents and even if they do and the offenders get prosecuted, they only get a slap on the wrist unless they have been caught multiple times before.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cressida said:

Collate all replies like that and copy them in to your complaint letter to your local council,  the public can attend to listen to discussions,  next time (probably before the G.E.)  make it your chief complaint - seems like apathy.

The problem is that it's been going on for decades. 

About 25 years ago some yobs decided that it'd be funny to light a firework and stick it in my parents letterbox. It wasn't a small firework and it damaged the whole door when it exploded. Luckily my parents had on of those letterbox catcher things because of the dog and it contained it quite well so there was no fire started inside. 

Police sergeant's response "It's just kids' they're bored" at which point I told him it was attempted arson at minimum, given there were 3 people in the house at the time possibly attempted murder x3 and if it wasn't investigated as such then the IPCC and the national press would be getting involved. Within 30 mins there were a lot more police/crime scene investigators involved. Never did catch them but I knew who it was and let's just say, they were dealt with....

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Resident said:

The problem is that it's been going on for decades. 

About 25 years ago some yobs decided that it'd be funny to light a firework and stick it in my parents letterbox. It wasn't a small firework and it damaged the whole door when it exploded. Luckily my parents had on of those letterbox catcher things because of the dog and it contained it quite well so there was no fire started inside. 

Police sergeant's response "It's just kids' they're bored" at which point I told him it was attempted arson at minimum, given there were 3 people in the house at the time possibly attempted murder x3 and if it wasn't investigated as such then the IPCC and the national press would be getting involved. Within 30 mins there were a lot more police/crime scene investigators involved. Never did catch them but I knew who it was and let's just say, they were dealt with....

vigilantes
  1. a member of a self-appointed group of citizens who undertake law enforcement in their community without legal authority, typically because the legal agencies are thought to be inadequate.

I am expecting this to increase due to what is happening so often  to law abiding citizens. The only thing these scumpbags understand.

• Like 2

Sad for the ranger and rather off putting for anyone planning to visit the reservoir/park. It's funny how some people become brave when in a gang but on their own, they wouldn't say boo to a goose. 

• Like 3

Thanks to Mark for the  link posted to the police report.  However! Disgusted that nobody can see the picture or video of wanted person unless  accepting the advertising cookies.  No chance , so me and no doubt some others will not be able to see if known.  Glad those behind desks continue to prioritise the aims of policing. 
God help those on the frontline and victims.