Should 16 & 17 Year Olds Be Allowed To Vote?

1 hour ago, Axe said:

Someone under 18 is likely to be influenced  or even bullied which way to vote by their parents.  It was common for women to be bullied which way to vote by their husbands especially in traditional Labour areas.  

In your household, maybe. The parents I know well just aren't like that.

39 minutes ago, horribleblob said:

In your household, maybe. The parents I know well just aren't like that.

I am not implying in happens in every household.  There is no doubt many  parents influence the voting intentions of young adults.  At the last general election many grown up adults stated their grandfather / father would turn in their grave if they knew they were voting Tory.  These people were clearly influenced by their parents and were pressurised to vote Labour.  Many traditional Labour voters voted Tory last time because the Labour party tried to cheat leave voters out of their democratic choice to leave the EU which is why the turning in their grave phrase was widely used.  It is clear that traditional Labour voting households attempt to influence how their offspring vote  more than enlightened traditional Tory households. 

2 hours ago, melthebell said:

This thread like the Covid thread is an example of people making up excuse after excuse to back up what they already have in their head.

I just find it very ironic, that those self-proclaimed champions of democracy consistently will-of-the-people’ing about this, that and the other, have such a problem with enlarging the voting corpus and making the UK still more democratic indeed.

1 hour ago, L00b said:

I just find it very ironic, that those self-proclaimed champions of democracy consistently will-of-the-people’ing about this, that and the other, have such a problem with enlarging the voting corpus and making the UK still more democratic indeed.

So we give 6 million EU citizens the vote and then have another EU referendum

How do you think that will go?

Do you think thats fair on the UK citizens?

Is that your idea of a fair balanced democracy?

3 hours ago, Axe said:

I am not implying in happens in every household.  There is no doubt many  parents influence the voting intentions of young adults.  At the last general election many grown up adults stated their grandfather / father would turn in their grave if they knew they were voting Tory.  These people were clearly influenced by their parents and were pressurised to vote Labour.  Many traditional Labour voters voted Tory last time because the Labour party tried to cheat leave voters out of their democratic choice to leave the EU which is why the turning in their grave phrase was widely used.  It is clear that traditional Labour voting households attempt to influence how their offspring vote  more than enlightened traditional Tory households. 

Another poor contribution from axe who's gone back to using this quote against me, when he can't think of anything to say.  STOP IT and then  I will!

What a load of sheer rubbish again.  We all learn everything from our parents until we know enough to start thinking and deciding for ourselves and then sometimes, but not always,  change course.

Everyone grows up influenced in that exact same way by their upbringing including those in conservative households. 

Of course some,  like you,  never manage to get on that path of thinking properly and,  unfortunately,  silly posts like this is the result.

You keep voting conservative lad,  you're very well matched with that lot.

2 hours ago, L00b said:

Whether we wanted Brexit or voted against it,  we didn't leave Europe so that someone from Europe,  like you,  could tell us what to do with our voting system.

You go meddle in Europe's voting system.

Edited by Organgrinder
  • Like 2

Hi Beca  -  I don't know whether others are having problems like me but the site is running extremely slowly again as it did before it stopped all access  last time.

When clicking on SUBMIT REPLY,  it gets even slower.   You said you wanted to know if it happened again.

43 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

So we give 6 million EU citizens the vote and then have another EU referendum

How do you think that will go?

Do you think thats fair on the UK citizens?

Is that your idea of a fair balanced democracy?

Do you want to go over how the UK disallowed Britons residing abroad (especially those living in the EU, directly and primarily affected by the eventual outcome) from voting in the 2016 referendum, again?

53 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Whether we wanted Brexit or voted against it,  we didn't leave Europe so that someone from Europe,  like you,  could tell us what to do with our voting system.

You go meddle in Europe's voting system.

Do you want to rewind and try that one again?

First and last offer, cos I’m in a good mood today.

43 minutes ago, L00b said:

Do you want to go over how the UK disallowed Britons residing abroad (especially those living in the EU, directly and primarily affected by the eventual outcome) from voting in the 2016 referendum, again?

Now youre just trying to divert the conversation to something totally unrelated to this

You seem to think im the Prime Minister of the UK with this line of questioning

Lets just agree to disagree on this one 

Edited by Jack Grey