Castle House Co-Op Closing Down

30 minutes ago, pattricia said:

I would rather have a market falling to bits but with Character, than a new one with no character.

Markets World wide are part of the history of Towns and City, From Bangladesh to Bangalore  ,from Castleford to Capmandooo they are the meeting place , the noisy place , the smelly fish ,meat and spices fill the air with aromas from brewing  beers to kerb side coffee shops .

Only Sheffield planners , Councillors could be so stupid as to alter that . The First meeting place in our City .

Lets hope they find that bleeeedin Castle. so as the tourists can start poring into Castle Gate supping  Gin and tonic at the Bull and Mouth .

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

Markets World wide are part of the history of Towns and City, From Bangladesh to Bangalore  ,from Castleford to Capmandooo they are the meeting place , the noisy place , the smelly fish ,meat and spices fill the air with aromas from brewing  beers to kerb side coffee shops .

Only Sheffield planners , Councillors could be so stupid as to alter that . The First meeting place in our City .

Lets hope they find that bleeeedin Castle. so as the tourists can start poring into Castle Gate supping  Gin and tonic at the Bull and Mouth .

I suppose that now that the City Centre has ended up being devoid of life and history, it can be dug up and explored to the historian’s pleasure, and good luck to them.

1 hour ago, crookesey said:

I suppose that now that the City Centre has ended up being devoid of life and history, it can be dug up and explored to the historian’s pleasure, and good luck to them.

They have found now't of any significance  , perhaps they will find my brick hammer that was lost in the foundations of the Castle Market when I worked on it , miss that lift shaft with the spirel stairs going to the top ,you could see it for miles around , A Irishman name of Ted Lawler and my self built those steps , then some twaaaaat in planning and a couple of Castle hunters decided. that gazing at a pile of rubble with a hording around. Was so much better . Nutters !!!!!!!!!!

CO-OP was so expensive

Hopefully they'll put a Tesco or Sainsbury's Express in there.

But they'll probably wanna stay away as that whole area has gone downhill 

If that is even possible 

11 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

CO-OP was so expensive

Hopefully they'll put a Tesco or Sainsbury's Express in there.

But they'll probably wanna stay away as that whole area has gone downhill 

If that is even possible 

My Victorian born Grandmother wouldn’t have stepped into any shop that didn’t have Sheffield & Ecclesall or Brightside and Carbrook over the door.

5 hours ago, pattricia said:

Is Wilkinson’s going as well ? It’s a dead hole in that part of Sheffield now. Biggest mistake closing the market and opening that one down The Moor. If they thought it would work being next to the Outdoor Market , they were wrong, as that is a flop as well !

As far as I know, Wilkinson's is staying...for now but I can't see it staying much longer at that end of the city centre. That and B&M are the only stores down there now that attract large footfall. 

I don't think the new markets have what people want. There is a distinct lack of greetings card shops, pick and mix stalls, emporiums and British food stalls. So many exotic food stalls in a British market is never going to generate high footfall. I am sure some people will want to be adventurous with their pallet, and I am not against having a stall for things like that, but the sheer number of them for Sheffield markets is excessive and the stall holders always look bored. A cheese monger, hot meat counter like Crawshaw's, pie stalls etc are what would attract more custom. And they need to get rid of the chuggers at the entrance, flipping annoying and off-putting.

Those bloody foreigners selling their blooming foreign muck in our markets eh, disgusting carry-on. Send the buggers back! 

2 hours ago, crookesey said:

My Victorian born Grandmother wouldn’t have stepped into any shop that didn’t have Sheffield & Ecclesall or Brightside and Carbrook over the door.

Well, with respect crooksey, my  Victorian Pitsmoor born grandmother WOULD have stepped into a Brightside and Carbrook shop, as most of B&C 's were in working class areas and priced accordingly, not like the other lot. 

Also, which Co_Op food is the article about, the one at Castle Street and Angel Street? Which i thought was gone anyway.

Edited by St Petre

17 minutes ago, St Petre said:

Well, with respect crooksey, my  Victorian Pitsmoor born grandmother WOULD have stepped into a Brightside and Carbrook shop, as most of B&C 's were in working class areas and priced accordingly, not like the other lot. 

Also, which Co_Op food is the article about, the one at Castle Street and Angel Street? Which i thought was gone anyway.

I am only ever aware of one on Castle Street. Angel St was the entrance to the old department store wasn't it? The one that's been shut for years. 

27 minutes ago, St Petre said:

My Heeley born grandmother would have been very surprised to find herself classed as being ‘one of the other lot’. :hihi:

8 minutes ago, crookesey said:

My Heeley born grandmother would have been very surprised to find herself classed as being ‘one of the other lot’. :hihi:

✔️

4 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

As far as I know, Wilkinson's is staying...for now but I can't see it staying much longer at that end of the city centre. That and B&M are the only stores down there now that attract large footfall. 

I don't think the new markets have what people want. There is a distinct lack of greetings card shops, pick and mix stalls, emporiums and British food stalls. So many exotic food stalls in a British market is never going to generate high footfall. I am sure some people will want to be adventurous with their pallet, and I am not against having a stall for things like that, but the sheer number of them for Sheffield markets is excessive and the stall holders always look bored. A cheese monger, hot meat counter like Crawshaw's, pie stalls etc are what would attract more custom. And they need to get rid of the chuggers at the entrance, flipping annoying and off-putting.

A cash only Fenwicks outlet stall?

• Like 1