Which Blade Members On Here Attend Matches

Taken by my dad to see Hagan play and been a season ticket holder for over fifty years. Always renew at the first opportunity as a group of us have been together for years and wish to stay together it is immaterial what division we are playing in, we're Blades.

This week was the first time I managed to watch us gain promotion at the Lane, because on the 1st of May 1971 against Watford I had to miss the one and only home game that entire season.

The reason being my best mate ( a Wednesdayite 🙄 ) had chosen that day to get married. He's still my best mate and now at last I can let it go, I have finally received closure. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, m williamson said:

Taken by my dad to see Hagan play and been a season ticket holder for over fifty years. Always renew at the first opportunity as a group of us have been together for years and wish to stay together it is immaterial what division we are playing in, we're Blades.

This week was the first time I managed to watch us gain promotion at the Lane, because on the 1st of May 1971 against Watford I had to miss the one and only home game that entire season.

The reason being my best mate ( a Wednesdayite 🙄 ) had chosen that day to get married. He's still my best mate and now at last I can let it go, I have finally received closure. 

I remember that day in 1971 well but what sticks in my mind more that season was losing to Hull and thinking we had blown it in front of over 40,000 fans.

1st game for me was Blades v Oxford, (5 - 0 or 5 - 1), back in 1970.

I thought all games would be like this?  How wrong I was.  They've given me more heartache than my family. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

1st game for me was Blades v Oxford, (5 - 0 or 5 - 1), back in 1970.

I thought all games would be like this?  How wrong I was.  They've given me more heartache than my family. 

69-70 season before promotion, Last game of the season.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Alextopman said:

I remember that day in 1971 well but what sticks in my mind more that season was losing to Hull and thinking we had blown it in front of over 40,000 fans.

Yes, I got to that one of course, I remember it well. Ken Knighton spent most of the match kicking lumps out of a young Tony Currie.

6 minutes ago, m williamson said:

Yes, I got to that one of course, I remember it well. Ken Knighton spent most of the match kicking lumps out of a young Tony Currie.

We'd won six on the trot before that.

5 hours ago, Alextopman said:

Yes, looked like we’d blown it. We’ve had a bit of a history with Hull. They see us as rivals based on the conversation I had with a couple this season. Have to say it’s a bit one sided, which I told them.

Ref stopped the match after 10 minutes there were so many bad tackles going in. Chris Simpkin grrr.

1 hour ago, Ridgewalk said:

Yes, looked like we’d blown it. We’ve had a bit of a history with Hull. They see us as rivals based on the conversation I had with a couple this season. Have to say it’s a bit one sided, which I told them.

Ref stopped the match after 10 minutes there were so many bad tackles going in. Chris Simpkin grrr.

Seen a photo where Badger gets stuck into a tackle with Wagstaff.

https://www.pinterest.es/pin/sheffield-utd-1-hull-city-2-in-march-1971-at-bramall-lane-action-from-the-game-div2--132363676527015123/

Edited by Alextopman

40 minutes ago, Alextopman said:

They weren’t a bad side actually,  Terry Neil, Chris Chilton, Ian Butler,  Wagstaff who was a big beefy blonde old fashioned striker. After losing out to us for Promotion they want into steep decline as a club.

They talk about the 2002 WBA game as the 'Battle of Bramall Lane' but that night match against Hull in 1971 was probably worse.

I've never seen before or since the referee stop play and call all the players to the centre circle and demand they calm things down. It was carnage out there. Ken Knighton was the main offender.

Disapointing result that night but the team rallied and won promotion.

Penultimate game of the season Cardiff (another night match) won 5-1. What an atmosphere.

On the Saturday we beat Watford 3-0 at the Lane. Stewart Scullion gave us a scare and hit the bar in the first 15 minutes.  We signed him in the close season and he played a major part in us taking the First Division (Premier league in old money) by storm.

Let's see if Hecky's boys can do the same next season.

Edited by abbeyedges
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, abbeyedges said:

On the Saturday we beat Watford 3-0 at the Lane. Stewart Scullion gave us a scare and hit the bar in the first 15 minutes.  We signed him in the close season and he played a major part in us taking the First Division (Premier league in old money) by storm.

Let's see if Hecky's boys can do the same next season.

I liked Stewart Scullion he was a good player, but in all my years following the Blades I've never seen any other player hit the woodwork as many times as he did.

He was in the wrong job, he should have been a lumberjack!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am a regular , a season ticket holder from Skegness {Ingoldmells}.     renewed my season ticket for Premiership football next season .  Happy days.

• Like 2