Spider Hunting-The New Hobby!

19 hours ago, Padders said:

I always get my conkers out, they don't like the smell.

Of  course, like others you will be  aware that conkers tend to drop  from late August and on through September. A bit unfortunate for the poor spiders. 

I suppose using your conkers as a deterant in the middle of winter may not be an option, by that time they are dried and shriveled due to loss of moisture. Fortunately there will be less spiders.

6 minutes ago, Janus said:

Of  course, like others you will be  aware that conkers tend to drop  from late August and on through September. A bit unfortunate for the poor spiders. 

I suppose using your conkers as a deterant in the middle of winter may not be an option, by that time they are dried and shriveled due to loss of moisture. Fortunately there will be less spiders.

:hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

Seriously,

My late missis used to swear by conkers, we used to collect em from Herries rd. and Longley Pk.

Bags and bags full.

They were placed in every nook and cranny you could find, cupboards, wardrobes, carpets, under the furniture, bedrooms you name it.

She passed away 8 years ago and I'm still finding the dam things.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Padders said:

Seriously,

My late missis used to swear by conkers, we used to collect em from Herries rd. and Longley Pk.

Bags and bags full.

They were placed in every nook and cranny you could find, cupboards, wardrobes, carpets, under the furniture, bedrooms you name it.

Hmmm... :huh:

Now when you say Mrs Padders used to swear by them, Mr Padders...

... I suspect you mean she said something to the effect of "When are you going to get these £$%^&* out of my house?"! :hihi:

2 hours ago, Padders said:

Seriously,

Bags and bags full.

I would imagine for you, the Autumn each year is a time of memories and reflection. For me the smell of freshly laid road tar instantly  takes me way back.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Janus said:

I would imagine for you, the Autumn each year is a time of memories and reflection. For me the smell of freshly laid road tar instantly  takes me way back.

Funny you should mention that, they used to just pour a long screed of tar on the road surface, then the lorry followed up spreading the small limestone chippings, in turn followed by the roller. I'm not sure whether they still use that method, seems to be more tarmac without the chippings now.

We've drifted from spiders somewhat.

Edited by carosio

5 hours ago, Padders said:

Seriously,

Bags and bags full.

Do you polish your conkers your just give em a wipe with a damp flannel ?