Barrow Woman Guilty Of False Rape Claims : Implications Of This/Similar Cases

I am surprised this has not got a thread on here :

Eleanor Williams: Barrow woman guilty of false rape claims

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-64151441

The worrying point here is that when people say we should increase the percentage of rape cases resulting in a guilty verdict that  can only be done by lowering the burden of proof on the accused.....

Edited by Chekhov

1 minute ago, Chekhov said:

I am surprised this has not got a thread on here :

Eleanor Williams: Barrow woman guilty of false rape claims

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-64151441

The worrying point here is that when people say we should increase the percentage of rape cases resulting in a guilty verdict that  can only be done by lowering the burden of proof on the accused.....

I've said that for a long while. Usually ends up in me being called a rape apologist or some other ridiculous label. 

3 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

I've said that for a long while. Usually ends up in me being called a rape apologist or some other ridiculous label. 

Exactly.

These people effectively asking for the burden of proof  in rape cases to be lowered should be ashamed of themselves. I would also point out that when they are interviewed the interviewers rarely (if ever) point out that they are effectively asking for a lowering of the burden of proof on the accused and how can they justify that ?

2 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

Shouldn't really be in that one in my humble opinion 

I agree.

Edited by Chekhov

I think I’ll just say that maybe rape cases should be investigated much more thoroughly. And that we need more of them to result in convictions of rapists.

Then, I’ll leave the divergent thinkers to it.

Edited by sibon

10 minutes ago, sibon said:

I think I’ll just say that maybe rape cases should be investigated much more thoroughly. And that we need more of them to result in convictions of rapists.

Then, I’ll leave the divergent thinkers to it.

Agree with every word 👍

2 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

I honestly believe both parties involved should remain anonymous until a decision  is reached .

Agree with this too 👍

10 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

I honestly believe both parties involved should remain anonymous until a decision  is reached .

I don’t disagree with that.

There might be occasions where it is necessary to release the name of the accused, but in general I think that both parties should be kept anonymous.