Is Is Still Possible To Buy Original Donkey Jackets?

5 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

Bunny's that's a name from the past.

Didn't they do a nice line in 'Green :suspect:' Denim jackets and Brown / Purple or Red Corduroy Loon pants :wow:.

Think it was Bunnys that my mates used to get Poppers from .

17 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

Bunny's that's a name from the past.

Didn't they do a nice line in 'Green :suspect:' Denim jackets and Brown / Purple or Red Corduroy Loon pants :wow:.

They specialized in cheap horse hair tweed sport coats and flannels for the kid's "rig out" at Whitsun. Itchy and allergenic on a hot day, Guaranteed to give you perpetual "candles".

Wouldn't find the fine gaberdines and mohair cloths that Cuttsie and his pals could afford.  :)

• Haha 1

Edited by Janus

On 29/12/2022 at 17:53, wearysmith said:

Wow! Wimpy's on Fargate.... 

Thank Christ we grew up and discovered real burgers at Uncle Sam's in our early 20s.

Now, of course, we can't afford to eat at Uncle Sam's......

Vera's on Chatham Street was the best place for a greasy burger, she didn't get the name "Greasy" for nothing

1 hour ago, Cody's Granddad said:

Vera's on Chatham Street was the best place for a greasy burger, she didn't get the name "Greasy" for nothing

Not even after staggering out of Rebels at 2 in the morning chum. No one can drink that much to have wanted to eat there.

On 29/12/2022 at 19:53, wearysmith said:

Wow! Wimpy's on Fargate.... That's a place I'd managed to successfully forget. Cheap and nasty grease & gristle burgers. All we could afford in the 70s. Full of schoolkids (us), trying to look cool with our 16 year old dates.

Thank Christ we grew up and discovered real burgers at Uncle Sam's in our early 20s.

Now, of course, we can't afford to eat at Uncle Sam's......

Uncle Sam's used to be absolutely fantastic.

I visited the establishment last year for the first time in probably 15 years.

It was awful.

Everything we ordered was poor, the burgers, onion rings and even the fries.  For 3 of us it came to around 65 pounds.

I visited with my American girlfriend and had been raving about it for weeks. What a let down it was.

We ended up going to taco bell down the street.

1 hour ago, Al Bundy said:

Uncle Sam's used to be absolutely fantastic.

I visited the establishment last year for the first time in probably 15 years.

It was awful.

Everything we ordered was poor, the burgers, onion rings and even the fries.  For 3 of us it came to around 65 pounds.

I visited with my American girlfriend and had been raving about it for weeks. What a let down it was.

We ended up going to taco bell down the street.

Uncle Sams and Yankees were founded in Sheffield, by my two good friends Mickey and Pete Freeman.

They came over to Canada with my brother to join me in Toronto for a couple of years back in 1966. They stayed at my house for a while (until I threw them out for partying too much, and not helping my poor beleagured wife with the chores, while I was at work,  but that's another story)  :)

Their parents had a cafe in the Market. They were impressed with the popularity of quality of burgers and fries in Canada and the States, and the rest is history. Their burgers were carefully prepared from quality ingredients and sold in a friendly sport themed environment, with music, a U.S. "cultural appropriation", if you like. They were very popular meeting places at one time. and sometimes it was hard to get a table.

They sold Uncle Sam's many years ago, and Yankees more recently, and retired.

So as often happens in many businesses, when the original owners move on, the quality of the product declines.

Edited by trastrick
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, trastrick said:

Uncle Sams and Yankees were founded in Sheffield, by my two good friends Mickey and Pete Freeman.

They came over to Canada with my brother to join me in Toronto for a couple of years back in 1966. They stayed at my house for a while (until I threw them out for partying too much, and not helping my poor beleagured wife with the chores, while I was at work,  but that's another story)  :)

Their parents had a cafe in the Market. They were impressed with the popularity of quality of burgers and fries in Canada and the States, and the rest is history. Their burgers were carefully prepared from quality ingredients and sold in a friendly sport themed environment, with music, a U.S. "cultural appropriation", if you like. They were very popular meeting places at one time. and sometimes it was hard to get a table.

They sold Uncle Sam's many years ago, and Yankees more recently, and retired.

So as often happens in many businesses, when the original owners move on, the quality of the product declines.

I don't know if it has declined but it is beyond 'trendy' expensive. Took two of my g-kids about 4 years back (mainly to see the train). I remember a blast of nostalgia when the food came but my heart nearly stopped when I saw the bill. 

I used to enjoy that a serving lass (it was always girls) brought you a glass of cold water when you first sat down. They should never have stopped that.

I recall when I worked at Wigfall's in early 70s. I was based at the time at Walker Street, the last left turn before the Wicker Arches. The lads and I at the time were stacking weshing machines and spin driers. We also loaded and unloaded lorries. Our boss was Mr McNeill, a diminutive white-haired Scotsman who stood for no nonsense.
McNeill was so strict he would have been better employed as a Drill Sergeant on a Parade Square.

The lads and I were one day given Donkey Jackets as work clobber, paid for by Wigfall's. The jackets were somewhat itchy and only had two pockets on each jacket, one on each side. The pockets were so tight, making it impossible for me stuff in mi potted meat sandwiches packing up.I could barely stick mi folded-up Daily Mirror either in a pocket. The solution to this problem was soon found, I bought a Duffel bag.

Some months later I left the company, taking 'my' Donkey Jacket with me. A good few weeks later I received at home a letter demanding the return of 'my' Donkey Jacket. I found time to return the jacket to Mr McNeill. On arrival back at my old workplace I found McNeill then threw 'my' Donkey Jacket at his feet, then I strode away after having spoken some unpleasant words at him.

Why are these jackets called Donkey Jackets?

7 hours ago, zakes said:

I recall when I worked at Wigfall's in early 70s. I was based at the time at Walker Street, the last left turn before the Wicker Arches. The lads and I at the time were stacking weshing machines and spin driers. We also loaded and unloaded lorries. Our boss was Mr McNeill, a diminutive white-haired Scotsman who stood for no nonsense.
McNeill was so strict he would have been better employed as a Drill Sergeant on a Parade Square.

The lads and I were one day given Donkey Jackets as work clobber, paid for by Wigfall's. The jackets were somewhat itchy and only had two pockets on each jacket, one on each side. The pockets were so tight, making it impossible for me stuff in mi potted meat sandwiches packing up.I could barely stick mi folded-up Daily Mirror either in a pocket. The solution to this problem was soon found, I bought a Duffel bag.

Some months later I left the company, taking 'my' Donkey Jacket with me. A good few weeks later I received at home a letter demanding the return of 'my' Donkey Jacket. I found time to return the jacket to Mr McNeill. On arrival back at my old workplace I found McNeill then threw 'my' Donkey Jacket at his feet, then I strode away after having spoken some unpleasant words at him.

Why are these jackets called Donkey Jackets?

Some of the navvies worked on donkey engines (a steam-powered winch or logging engine), providing the inspiration for the name of George Key's new coat.

Edited by Al Bundy