Water/Gas Leak Stannington Declared A Major Incident

10 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

I'm glad I don't live in Stannington if I'm honest.

But if I did I'd use my new generator to power my freezers, my (remaining) petrol to fuel it, my gas bottles for my heaters, my gas bottles for my stoves and I reckon my generator could power the TV and kettle too.

I'm not bragging like, just sayin.....

Do you connect the generator to the house wiring or just run extension leads?

6 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

Do you connect the generator to the house wiring or just run extension leads?

My neighbour tried to explain how I to connect it to the house but being a bit thick I couldn't grasp it. Plus I'd probably cause an electrical fire and kill everyone so I'll be using extension leads.👍

1 hour ago, The_DADDY said:

My neighbour tried to explain how I to connect it to the house but being a bit thick I couldn't grasp it. Plus I'd probably cause an electrical fire and kill everyone so I'll be using extension leads.👍

Is the generator earthed? If not, the things you plug into it won't be earthed either so if for example you had a fault on the freezer and the housing became live it would stay live until somebody touching it completed the circuit to earth and the fault current blew the plug fuse. The fault current would pass through the person touching the freezer, causing them to become dead/crispy. So you should provide some method of earthing at the generator, so that your appliances are earthed when on the genny. 

Connecting it to your house requires a changeover switch and a consideration of the earthing.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

Connecting it to your house requires a changeover switch and a consideration of the earthing.

And also the consideration that a short-circuit (e.g. nail through a cable) might not generate a high enough fault current to immediately trip a circuit breaker (section 419 of BS 7671).

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

Is the generator earthed? If not, the things you plug into it won't be earthed either so if for example you had a fault on the freezer and the housing became live it would stay live until somebody touching it completed the circuit to earth and the fault current blew the plug fuse. The fault current would pass through the person touching the freezer, causing them to become dead/crispy. So you should provide some method of earthing at the generator, so that your appliances are earthed when on the genny. 

Yep the generator will be earthed. My neighbour has been using one for a few years and said he'll sort that for me.

As an example of me denseness I gave Absolutely NO consideration to earthing anything.

I assumed simply plugging an earthed 3 pin plug would do the trick.

He also mentioned change over switches at which point my eyes glazed over and I just nodded. Cheers for taking the time to post the info.

👍

It was all on calendar and the national news again saying it will still take several days to get everyone connected again. There was one woman who had a single electric cooker there. 

I usually use two or three pot/pan while cooking, can't do much with just one and a microwave. 

Of all the times for this to happen. They've forecast the cold spell to last for several days. I'll bet there'll be some burst pipes in houses to deal with as well 🙄

As if it couldn't get any worse Kate Josephs was in the area making a statement to residents and media!

11 minutes ago, Colin Foster said:

As if it couldn't get any worse Kate Josephs was in the area making a statement to residents and media!

Who ? 

If any of that water is still left in these gas-pipes, that will be frozen now and difficult to remove. Unless they use some defrost chemicals, but it does seem to be more difficult to get that right.

Any house with water in gas network will need to be properly heated and defrosted before the gasnetwork can be properly cleared. 

Mind you it would be cool if the gas meter freezes stuck because of ice but still lets gas though.

Edited by dutch