2nd October 2022 Mass Bus Cuts Across South Yorkshire

Guest busdriver1
1 hour ago, HeHasRisen said:

Well, yes, I was just proving the point Sheffield is hardly the only area binning services, for some of our more hard of thinking forum members.

Indeed, I was just pointing out the NON story being reported when several service losses that ARE vital in the area are not being covered.  Good old selective journalism. 

We need reporters like that on here..... Oh hang on........😁

The 135 will only run to Rotherham and Chapeltown so there's no direct link from Grenoside Foxhill to Hillsborough.

Is it true that First will not have a bus service in Sheffield and only in Doncaster?

Sorry if I've missed this on earlier posts i.admit I've not looked fully back.

15 minutes ago, shaash said:

The 135 will only run to Rotherham and Chapeltown so there's no direct link from Grenoside Foxhill to Hillsborough.

Is it true that First will not have a bus service in Sheffield and only in Doncaster?

Sorry if I've missed this on earlier posts i.admit I've not looked fully back.

The highlighted bit - totally untrue political claptrap.

Who on earth was proclaiming First would have no services left in Sheffield?

Just now, HeHasRisen said:

Who on earth was proclaiming First would have no services left in Sheffield?

I THINK our esteemed MP for Sheffield Hallam made such a wild statement in her capacity as an MP/Shadow Transport (or some such position)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

I THINK our esteemed MP for Sheffield Hallam made such a wild statement in her capacity as an MP/Shadow Transport (or some such position)

I recall the statement along the lines of "there will only be 4 timetabled buses in the whole of South Yorkshire after 10pm at night" (which is also b0llox) but not the one above.

Edited by HeHasRisen

1 minute ago, HeHasRisen said:

I recall the statement along the lines of "there will only be 4 timetabled buses in the whole of South Yorkshire after 10pm at night" (which is also b0llox) but not the one above.

OK - it may have been something I read when I foolishly looked at her MP profile thing - I know I saw it somewhere.

If we are hoping to cut emissions and reduce car journeys, a reliable, and user friendly bus service is essential. Car use is also going to fall with the introduction of electric vehicles which are beyond the pocket of many. Once again we are at the mercy of a privatised system which must make a profit and therefore favours only the profitable routes.

We need to return to a Nationalised service which subsidises the less profitable routes and gives councils control over public transport.

Edited by Anna B

1 minute ago, Anna B said:

If we are hoping to cut emissions and reduce car journeys, a reliable, and user friendly bus service is essential. Car use is also going to fall with the introduction of electric vehicles which are beyond the pocket of many. Once again we are at the mercy of a privatised system which must make a profit and therefore favours only the profitable routes.

We need to return to a Nationalised (subsidised) service which gives councils control over public transport.

One major problem with that, Anna - councils are totally incapable of running a public transport system - just look at the current situation in S. Yorkshire.

Second point - are you prepared to pay increased Council Tax/Income Tax to fund it?

• Like 1

Guest busdriver1
45 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

One major problem with that, Anna - councils are totally incapable of running a public transport system - just look at the current situation in S. Yorkshire.

Second point - are you prepared to pay increased Council Tax/Income Tax to fund it?

The current situation is in no small way a result of "the council" getting involved. 

Be very careful what you wish for   

A lot of very senior people in the transport industry are saying that without the private companies being involved this crisis would have happened a lot earlier. 

2 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

The current situation is in no small way a result of "the council" getting involved. 

Be very careful what you wish for   

A lot of very senior people in the transport industry are saying that without the private companies being involved this crisis would have happened a lot earlier. 

@busdriver1I assume that comment is aimed at @Anna B, as I am sure you are aware that I am totally aware of the trouble allowing councils/politicians any involvement can cause?

Having said that, if the political entities work with the transport operators, rather than against them, it can be beneficial, as I have pointed out previously.

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

We need to return to a Nationalised service which subsidises the less profitable routes and gives councils control over public transport.

And I'm willing to bet you think you're glorious Labour (who allowed the mass organised raping of young girls) would be printing from the magic money tree to pay for it?