Heater On The Bus Today

42 minutes ago, spilldig said:

No, I'm insulted that the 0ld age pension is £141.85 per week when the government states a minimum of £367.20 per week,  at least for 40 hours which is what I averaged.  I was insulted when Margret Thatcher broke the link beetween earnings and pensions and I was insulted again when labour didn't reinstate the next time they came to power. I wouldn't be insulted if they stopped m y  wife's and my bus pass and paid us  the  £794.40 per week that they state as a  minimum 

Absolutely nothing to do with the topic, and a constant theme of yours.

21 hours ago, RollingJ said:

Absolutely nothing to do with the topic, and a constant theme of yours.

I agree. Tell the person who brought up the subject of OAPs not the person who replied.

22 hours ago, spilldig said:

No, I'm insulted that the 0ld age pension is £141.85 per week when the government states a minimum of £367.20 per week,  at least for 40 hours which is what I averaged.  I was insulted when Margret Thatcher broke the link beetween earnings and pensions and I was insulted again when labour didn't reinstate the next time they came to power. I wouldn't be insulted if they stopped m y  wife's and my bus pass and paid us  the  £794.40 per week that they state as a  minimum 

The low state pension has been such for decades. Why didn't you, in the knowledge of this, prepare your own income stream? 

I'm in my 40s now and I've had a private pension set up since I was 18, of which I have added any employer-based pension scheme over the years & now have a very health pension pot for my twilight years. 

Also stating you only get £141/week is disingenuous. On top of that you're able to claim:

Housing benefit  (upto 150/week)
Council Tax Reducion benefit (up to 50%)
Pension Credits
Cold Weather Payments
Winter Fuel Allowance 
Additional NHS discounts (Dental, prescriptions

and under certain circumstance, Attendance/Carer's allowance.  

All of which probably add up to more than £367. 

21 hours ago, Resident said:

The low state pension has been such for decades. Why didn't you, in the knowledge of this, prepare your own income stream? 

I'm in my 40s now and I've had a private pension set up since I was 18, of which I have added any employer-based pension scheme over the years & now have a very health pension pot for my twilight years. 

Also stating you only get £141/week is disingenuous. On top of that you're able to claim:

Housing benefit  (upto 150/week)
Council Tax Reducion benefit (up to 50%)
Pension Credits
Cold Weather Payments
Winter Fuel Allowance 
Additional NHS discounts (Dental, prescriptions

and under certain circumstance, Attendance/Carer's allowance.  

All of which probably add up to more than £367. 

I did the same as you but I don't agree with means testing.

Well, not much has changed since last year.  There are STILL buses with heaters on in summer.  A friend asked the driver to turn it off  and he said ‘it has to stay on as it helps the engine’.  Apparently the engine overheats going uphill otherwise.  Never mind the overheating passengers 🥵🔥

9 minutes ago, redruby said:

Well, not much has changed since last year.  There are STILL buses with heaters on in summer.  A friend asked the driver to turn it off  and he said ‘it has to stay on as it helps the engine’.  Apparently the engine overheats going uphill otherwise.  Never mind the overheating passengers 🥵🔥

Ahhhh the joys of public transport. 

I'm so happy I don't have to use it if I'm honest. 

14 minutes ago, redruby said:

Which route?

This particular one was in wasn’t in Sheffield.  Although I’ve definitely known it Sheffield before!

17 hours ago, redruby said:

Would you rather be cooler and the bus breakdown due to overheating halfway through your journey or just not turn up at all? There are buses that need it to stop it overheating, I think it's the newer streetlite buses. 

In general though the driver has no control over the heaters on the bus other than the ones in the cab.

2 hours ago, NERVY-OWL said:

Would you rather be cooler and the bus breakdown due to overheating halfway through your journey or just not turn up at all? There are buses that need it to stop it overheating, I think it's the newer streetlite buses. 

In general though the driver has no control over the heaters on the bus other than the ones in the cab.

No, not really but there were some people that felt like it was so hot they were going to pass out., with all the heaters on full blast, on a packed full bus on a hot day.  There seem to have been a lot of bus breakdowns recently anyway.  No one would buy a car where you had to put heater on full blast on summer to stop the engine overheating.

38 minutes ago, redruby said:

No, not really but there were some people that felt like it was so hot they were going to pass out., with all the heaters on full blast, on a packed full bus on a hot day.  There seem to have been a lot of bus breakdowns recently anyway.  No one would buy a car where you had to put heater on full blast on summer to stop the engine overheating.

Unfortunately buses are different. It only seems like the newer ones that are like that but even older ones are only blowing whatever air is outside, so if it's very warm they won't get cool air and the driver has no control over that, even the engineers turning the hot tap off at the back will still blow warm air in on a hot day.