Car Insurance Prices Ridiculous

My renewal came through at the start of the year, more that it was last year. 

I called them as I'd found it over 1/3 cheaper elsewhere with identical cover. 

Called to cancel the renewal and the guy looked at the price and said "I can see why you're cancelling. Can I have a minute to check this first?"

Came back 5 mins later with a new price, half the cost of the previous year. 

He explained that renewals are calculated by software and it doesn't always get it right.

A couple of years ago I haggled with Hastings insurance and they reluctantly agreed to reduce the price ,but the year after they got there own back as they said they couldn’t get anyone to insure me.At the time I had been driving for 55 yrs continuously with no claims and no convictions.

5 minutes ago, mifagiy said:

Are you all finding that the insurance for an iX is insanely high? I pay $900/year for full coverage on my 2016 Corvette Z51 3LT, The iX is going to cost $5000. Are any of you getting similar quotes?

This isnt an American site, mate.

I had my quote last month. It had gone from £300 to £480.  6 years no claims.  I rang them up and she said, "Havn't you heard of inflation?"    I said, yes but not 50%+ in one year. I changed to a new insurer at £290.

The only company I've found to not ramp renewals up is Aviva.  They're clear on the renewal how much it was the previous year.  

And when I price compare I always get Aviva as the cheapest - at the same price (or a little more) as their renewal.  So I've been with them for 3 years now.

Sadly I guess one insurer isn't always great for everyone.

1 hour ago, alchresearch said:

The only company I've found to not ramp renewals up is Aviva.  They're clear on the renewal how much it was the previous year.  

They all have to mention the previous price on renewal documents now, and the rules around renewal price have changed in favour of repeat customers

Still worth an annual phone call to ask for a better price.

Edited by fools