The Street Where You Were Brought Up.

South Street Park district before Parkhill was built.

Lound Rd at Handsworth, great childhood, loads of friends on that estate, think like all kids growing up in the 70s, we were always playing outside, High Hazels park, Bowden Woods, or sneaking onto the football pitches at the back of Davy United social club, oh and the long daily walk through the woods to school and back, Athelstan and Brook.

We're  on Lound  Road  I knew the Burgin family How old are you  . I lived on Hall Road at the back of the Norfolk

Guest makapaka
On 16/11/2022 at 15:13, Emilie060812 said:

I grew up on Sandstone Drive, Wincobank. 

Went to Brightside Nursery and Infants School from 1988 to 1992, then to Limpsfield Junior School from 1992 to 1996 and finally Hinde House Secondary 1996 - 2000.

Had Grandparents at 76 Lloyd Street in Page Hall and a Grandma at 16 Ravenscroft Drive in Handsworth before she moved to Tipton Street near Brightside School in the 90's.

My Mum grew up in Darnall, Coleford Road and then moved to Ravenscroft Drive, she attended City School.

My Dad grew up in Page Hall, Lloyd Street, he attended Owler Lane and Grimesthorpe Schools.

I was slightly ahead of you - I left limpsfield in 1992. 

I lived in jenkin avenue. I think you probably would have been in my younger brothers year though - definitely at the school at the same time.

mr bainbridge was head when I was there.

Kepple Place, Shiregreen. Lovely place to grow up. I went to Woolley Wood school and then Firth Park Grammar.

I left Sheffield in 1995 but always have a look round the area when we go back. 

14 minutes ago, Keith Bessie said:

Kepple Place, Shiregreen. Lovely place to grow up. I went to Woolley Wood school and then Firth Park Grammar.

What year did you leave Firth Park Grammar school ?

1 hour ago, Keith Bessie said:

I lived on Woolley Wood Rd, and also went to WW school.

I also went to Woolley Wood School, lived on Oaks Fold Road.     ( See post  #51 )

On 17/11/2022 at 10:43, will.i.ams said:

We're  on Lound  Road  I knew the Burgin family How old are you  . I lived on Hall Road at the back of the Norfolk

Roughly directly opposite the Rose and Crown, testing my memory but yes Burgin name seems familiar, think they lived near the top of the road?  

Victoria Street just below the former Glossop Road Swimming Baths.

Has A Child, use to sit with my friends on the kerb of the road with a twig picking tar from amongst the cobblestone road.

Would go to the top of Victoria street with a skate, put a book on it, sit on the skate and speed down the skate.

Wednesday's was washing day and the tub would come out with the posher and washing board - that's before we got a

twin tub from Wigfalls.

Friday  the pop man would come round in his lorry, we had six bottles of pop , which we would put on a stone table in the cellar

if it was cold in the cellar, the bottles would sometimes explode.

Friday night was also bath night.....the old tin bath would come out infront of the fire.

Christmas  time, the salvation army would gather at the bottom of the street to play Christmas Carols

despite snow being on the ground and icicles some 12 inches in length hanging from the roof guttering.

People in general were much more friendly towards each other.

I was born on Crumpsall Road in my aunt Lil's house, my parents were living in Sedan Street then we moved to Brunswick Road (Champ's Hill) when I was about 6 months old. I can't remember Sedan Street, my first recollections of growing up in the 50's / 60's are  on Brunswick Road Pitsmoor.  it was Brilliant. 

On 01/06/2022 at 19:30, melthebell said:

Studley Road, Darnall, heres the Silver Jubilee street party, 1977, i was 8, Studley Road was later demolished and became Studley Court, blocked off at the end, i left to Woodhouse in 79 / 80 which is my formative years so i call that home.

Im in the blue on the right hand side with my hand on the table.

DRFEw8K.jpg

My Aunt Lottie & Uncle Bill lived on Studley Road in the 50's / 60's. I think it was roughly between the Blue Van and the camera. We went to stay with them for a short while in the late 50's ?? I think there was a lad with curly hair lived in the same yard, I remember in the summer he got the hose pipe out for some fun and to cool us down. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1