Security Light Advice.

On 18/03/2022 at 06:06, pattricia said:

The thing is this light only comes on if someone walks across my property, so it’s not permanently on. Also it has to be quite dark outside for this to happen. I have quite a few steps up to my property so when Im coming up these steps after dark it shines on these steps and helps me.  My neighbour has a Venetian blind in his kitchen ,which is pulled down after dark, so I don’t see what his problem is. 

That all sounds reasonable, I'd say let him report you, then  let the council deal with him and his expectations,

you're entitled have an outside light if you choose to have one.

On 17/03/2022 at 20:27, pattricia said:

I have a security light on the front of my house ,which comes on automatically when dark. This is very useful especially as it shines on the steps leading up to my house, so makes it safer. My neighbour in the house opposite complains that the security light is shining into his kitchen, although he has a Venetian blind to pull down. He keeps coming onto my property when I’m not in and bending the neck of the lamp down, so it shines at a lower angle. I then have to bend it back again. I have told him to stay off my property, but he says he’s going to report the light to the council as being a nuisance. Our houses aren’t council houses so can he do this ?

reading the original post below in bold (and all the 8 pages of reply's) from 2019 has me puzzled Pattricia.

My son put me some security lights up . One of them is on the front of the house and points over my front path, driveway and lawn. They come on automatically when it goes dark, and switch off at daylight. My neighbour who lives opposite me complained that the light shines into his front windows . As he has Venetian blinds and his bedroom is on the back of his house , I fail to see how this affects him.

He actually came over onto my property while I was discussing this with him and tilted the front light downwards so it does not shine onto his property. My son tilted it back again, and I went on holiday. When I came back my neighbour had tilted it back again.

Surely this neighbour is trespassing on my property ? What can I do ? Is this a police matter ?

Questions:  Where is the lamp fitted?

Question: How does your neighbour manage to alter the lamp? 

If the lamp is of the PIR type, as you now say it is (previously you said it was a 'Dusk till dawn' permanently on  type), the lamp is not mounted high enough up the building, the perimeter for where the motion sensor part of the lamp kicks in isn't recognising your boundary point.

See the source image

Using the above picture (House is looking well Pattricia :bigsmile:).

The lamp is set high enough so that no one can simply reach up and alter it (ideally the lamp should be mounted even higher).

The perimeter is set so it covers the doorway area and the lawn  (you can just see the shadow at the edge of the lawn in the foreground  where the sensor has reached its limit.

Even if your lawn and driveway are longer than the one in the picture this shouldn't be a problem if the lamp is mounted high enough. 

Any lower down and the lamp cannot define the boundary you want to illuminate and is simply shining out indiscriminately, which I think is your problem.

If the lamp is fitted low enough for your neighbour to reach up (without using ladders) and alter it -  so could any burglar.

If your neighbour is bringing ladders onto your property, one you've mounted it right and two he is not only trespassing he is defiantly in the wrong and the police would probably be more than interested (if you can get the buggers to actually come out) 🙄.

If your lamp is not of the PIR type and is so powerful it is not only illuminating your doorway, steps, Front lawn, Driveway, 2 Silver Birch trees and manages to traverse both pavements, the road and the neighbours front garden i'm surprised the neighbour is complaining.

I'd be leaving the Venetian blinds open chucking the toaster away and havin' cheeses on toast every evening  🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 .

A taxi driver across the road has a floodlight PIR and shines across the road through my elderly neigbours window at night when he retuns at silly hours. This makes the bedroom light up which wakes her and becomes very annoying. 

If the flood light was fixed higher with hooded directional lamps facing the area that needed the light it wouldn't be a problem but he went for the cheap option not the thoughtful option.

Sorry but I think your neighbour has every right to let you know but not to interfere with the light himself.