Food From My Past

44 minutes ago, Kidorry said:

Can you remember POBS. Hot milk with bread and sugar in it, if you had anything wrong with your throat.

Never heard of it Kidorry.

Looked it up on't internet and it says it's a 'North of England' thing.

Glasgow's far enough up 'North' never heard of it.

No doubt the morning bowl of porridge (with salt) kept any throat problems away.

Keep safe. 

A couple of years ago I posted a piece about when my Grandma Hollis used to take me shopping as the bag carrier around Hillsborough,this was late 40s and food rationing was still ongoing!.This time I recall we ended up down Holme Lane somewhere in the area of the Tramsheds,where we joined the queue at the horsemeat shop!.I remember the meat hung in the window having yellow fat on it not white like beef,also the smell in the shop ,in front of us was an old lady,they all looked old to me!.She told the man serving "Its for the dogs you know!",yere right pull the other one thought I!.There was nothing wrong with horsemeat if it is fresh the French and Belgians eat it nowadays no problems,also I remember the shop at Hillsborough Corner with lots of rabbits hung outside for sale,a thing you never see nowadays!.I loved rabbit stew with carrots and onions,very tasty!.

Up London Rd we had 'Cooki's' fish mongers.

Found this old photo.

Same shop as I remember but it had been modernised by the time we came down from Scotland.

Cook'i used to do all sorts of strange thing when he was handing you your change back (tossing coins up in't air)

more infuriating than amusing. no one was safe youngster, women shoppers, old Granny's basically anyone who came into his shop.

If you asked politely and who didn't say 'please & thank you' back then he would give the kids a 'Lucky Rabbits foot.

Not so lucky for all the Rabbits hanging outside. 

See the source image

Happy Daze.

My old dad and his mates kept ferrets and lurchers.  They would regularly   go out rabbiting, so growing up in the 60's & 70's, rabbit stew, rabbit pie and roasted rabbit portions were a fairly regular meal in our house. Dad was always a big fan of offal too - probably because it was cheap - so we also had heart, lungs and lites, chitterlings & bag, tripe, cow-heel , brains, pigs feet and tails and various other 'offal-y' things. I think eating this type of stuff had already gone out of fashion by the 60's 70's, so I remember being too embarrassed to admit to my friends that my parents - who were still only in their 30's/early 40's themselves  - were still buying and serving up this sort of stuff. I'm not particularly squeamish though - so I'd happily eat most of it.....just not mention it to my friends....who were all merrily scoffing Vesta meals and Smash instant mash by then 😁

One of the things I did balk at eating though was udder. Ugh! Yuk! Basically it was just a cow's udder.  cut up into chunks and cooked in milk stock with a few veg.  My dad loved it, but we thought it was vile - not just because of the idea was vile, but the smell, taste and texture of it was vile too. It tasted and smelled like sour milk - and had a horrible soft, spongey texture. It was like eating lumps of sodden bath-sponge floating in a thin, milky, sickly gravy. Whenever dad came home with an udder, we kids would run a mile!

21 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

Never heard of it Kidorry.

Looked it up on't internet and it says it's a 'North of England' thing.

Glasgow's far enough up 'North' never heard of it.

No doubt the morning bowl of porridge (with salt) kept any throat problems away.

Keep safe. 

It could be just a Sheffield thing. We had it regular. Cheaper and easier than buying medicine in those days.

1 hour ago, Kidorry said:

It could be just a Sheffield thing. We had it regular. Cheaper and easier than buying medicine in those days.

Any one else out there do the plate of Yorkshire Puddings n' gravy, off t' Pub for a few Jars then back for dinner ?

I'd never seen it till meeting her that should be obeyed's family.

Sheffield thing?

Happy Daze

2 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

Any one else out there do the plate of Yorkshire Puddings n' gravy, off t' Pub for a few Jars then back for dinner ?

I'd never seen it till meeting her that should be obeyed's family.

Sheffield thing?

Happy Daze

And don`t forget the Yorksire pudding with jam for afters.

28 minutes ago, Kidorry said:

And don`t forget the Yorksire pudding with jam for afters.

Sorry Kidorry

BUT NO that is just so wrong.

bit like havin tomato sauce on bacon sandwiches,

should be a law against it :rolleyes:

Anyone else remember Pub's with 'help yourself' bowl of puddings and one of Gravy on a Sunday Dinner?

Royal Lancers corner of Penistone Rd & Dixon St (invented all day drinking:thumbsup: before all day drinking:hihi:)

Happy Daze.

Keep safe.

1 hour ago, Rockers rule said:

Sorry Kidorry

BUT NO that is just so wrong.

bit like havin tomato sauce on bacon sandwiches,

should be a law against it :rolleyes:

Anyone else remember Pub's with 'help yourself' bowl of puddings and one of Gravy on a Sunday Dinner?

Royal Lancers corner of Penistone Rd & Dixon St (invented all day drinking:thumbsup: before all day drinking:hihi:)

Happy Daze.

Keep safe.

The white Hart on Spring lane did it when we worked next door. It was great on Sundays to have a pint and some Yorkshire pud after work.

1 hour ago, Kidorry said:

The white Hart on Spring lane did it when we worked next door. It was great on Sundays to have a pint and some Yorkshire pud after work.

Which Spring Lane ?

On 12/09/2021 at 11:47, old tup said:

A couple of years ago I posted a piece about when my Grandma Hollis used to take me shopping as the bag carrier around Hillsborough,this was late 40s and food rationing was still ongoing!.This time I recall we ended up down Holme Lane somewhere in the area of the Tramsheds,where we joined the queue at the horsemeat shop!.I remember the meat hung in the window having yellow fat on it not white like beef,also the smell in the shop ,in front of us was an old lady,they all looked old to me!.She told the man serving "Its for the dogs you know!",yere right pull the other one thought I!.There was nothing wrong with horsemeat if it is fresh the French and Belgians eat it nowadays no problems,also I remember the shop at Hillsborough Corner with lots of rabbits hung outside for sale,a thing you never see nowadays!.I loved rabbit stew with carrots and onions,very tasty!.

Can never under stand why we no longer get horse meat , whats the difference between that and other grazing animal meat . I  mean the slaughtered horses get chopped up for glue or are exported to France and Belgium where the meat is eaten . Perhaps we eat it any way but do not know eh !!!!.

5 hours ago, St Petre said:

Which Spring Lane ?

The one near Kelham Island.