Jump to content


Recommended Posts

been in australia now for 30 years but still miss certain foods .cant buy frey bentos steak and kydney puddings  anywhere. remember after a night out you could get cod and chips covered in curry sauce yum  over here everything closes by 9pm no going for a curry on london rd at midnight.if ever im on my own i have homemade chips and fried egg with a slice of fresh bread and butter what a treat my other half turns her nose up at it , and dont mention yorkshire puddings its enough to make me pack up and come home anybody else miss there favourite foods because of where they live

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not because of where I live more because they have gone but I would love a bag of Nibbets and a Taggy’s ice cream.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, stephen 7 said:

been in australia now for 30 years but still miss certain foods .cant buy frey bentos steak and kydney puddings  anywhere. remember after a night out you could get cod and chips covered in curry sauce yum  over here everything closes by 9pm no going for a curry on london rd at midnight.if ever im on my own i have homemade chips and fried egg with a slice of fresh bread and butter what a treat my other half turns her nose up at it , and dont mention yorkshire puddings its enough to make me pack up and come home anybody else miss there favourite foods because of where they live

Had a Frey Bentos Steak and Kidney pudding only last week Stephen.

Believe me you ain't missing anything the quality must be at an all time low (& there decidedly smaller).

Their pies in a tin are still the same sloppy mess - but equably as enjoyable as they ever were.

Nothing wrong with going back to basics, Egg & Chips, Sausage & Chips,

Scrambled egg (bit of bacon in it) & Chips covered in Salad cream, all good stuff. 

I like to think we were eating well before CoriV turned up, but we seem to be eating even more home made dinners lately.

Chicken Casseroles, Shepherds pies, (in season  - Rabbit or Pheasant casseroles), got a nice Liver & onion casserole simmering away

at the moment, pop in if your passing. 

I'm sure Her That Should Be Obeyed could rustle up some of her Yorkshire Puddings to go with it.

 

Keep safe

eat well.

 

 

 

2 hours ago, *Wallace* said:

Not because of where I live more because they have gone but I would love a bag of Nibbets and a Taggy’s ice cream.

Always a popular subject on Sheffield Forum  Taggy's ice cream.

I'd let 15 ice cream vans pass to wait for Taggy's to turn up.

 

Happy Daze.

 

(Battered Haggis for me - can't get it down here)

 

 

Edited by Rockers rule
additional info

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Stephen, haven’t had a frey bentos in years. My mum used to buy them when I was a kid, I think mainly because we didn’t own a fridge so tins were the way to go. I recently tried a Princes knock off version of the tinned chicken and mushroom pie and it was terrible, soggy pastry and mushroom soup basically 🤮. Stuff I do miss, school dinners especially the desserts. The big steel trays of chocolate or jam sponge cut into squares and also the best flapjack ever made. I’m fortunate at home as my OH makes traditional stuff so stews and homemade meat and tater pie with plenty of Hendoes are regulars on the menu 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jim117 said:

Hi Stephen, haven’t had a frey bentos in years. My mum used to buy them when I was a kid, I think mainly because we didn’t own a fridge so tins were the way to go. I recently tried a Princes knock off version of the tinned chicken and mushroom pie and it was terrible, soggy pastry and mushroom soup basically 🤮. Stuff I do miss, school dinners especially the desserts. The big steel trays of chocolate or jam sponge cut into squares and also the best flapjack ever made. I’m fortunate at home as my OH makes traditional stuff so stews and homemade meat and tater pie with plenty of Hendoes are regulars on the menu 👍

Thank you Jim,

School dinners (Sharrow Lane)

big steel tray - cheese flan with a tomato on't top.

Custard (with thick skin)

Happy Daze.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Rockers rule said:

Thank you Jim,

School dinners (Sharrow Lane)

big steel tray - cheese flan with a tomato on't top.

Custard (with thick skin)

Happy Daze.

And sometimes if you were really lucky you got pink custard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, *Wallace* said:

And sometimes if you were really lucky you got pink custard.

PINK CUSTARD ????????

 

Pink wasn't invented back then Wallace

we were still in Black and White :bigsmile:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hey rockers rule the other half an ozzie use to make liver bacon and tomatoes regularly until i pointed out where the liver came from, and now she wont make it anymore poor little lambs,as for the frey bentos  pie in a tin yes can get that easily but its like eating dog food with flaky pastry on top im sure im going to remember more,  one to forget was the school tapioca pudding like eating fish eyes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, stephen 7 said:

hey rockers rule the other half an ozzie use to make liver bacon and tomatoes regularly until i pointed out where the liver came from, and now she wont make it anymore poor little lambs,as for the frey bentos  pie in a tin yes can get that easily but its like eating dog food with flaky pastry on top im sure im going to remember more,  one to forget was the school tapioca pudding like eating fish eyes

Nothing wrong with School Tapioca Pudding, Big dollop of Jam in't middle.

 

Let me see,

Black Pudding floating in mushy Peas topped with Mint sauce.

Blue Cheese melted on Pikelets. 

 

Or 

Chicken Nuggets, I know which i'm choosing.

 

 

Keep safe,

eat well

 

 iv'e remembered one, a real Horror from my youth.

(Broiled) Chicken in a tin.

A whole Chicken (must have been in brine?)

stuffed into an elongated tin can.

There's no F in the word Horrible, but they were :rolleyes:

 

 

Edited by Rockers rule
additional info

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

top food,liver /bacon/onion on a bread cake,fray bentos tinned pie/chips,liver onion/mash,yorkie dead easy 1x pint thick milk,6 large eggs,plain flour,salt ,mix then in fridge over night,put dripping in big meat tin,to sizzle then add mixture,perfect,my other favourite by choice is bacon sarnie,white bread,with hendos sprinkled on the top,also woodseats fisheries chips/fish with scraps cooked in dripping,please note there are other chippies that cook in dripping.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, bassett one said:

top food,liver /bacon/onion on a bread cake,fray bentos tinned pie/chips,liver onion/mash,yorkie dead easy 1x pint thick milk,6 large eggs,plain flour,salt ,mix then in fridge over night,put dripping in big meat tin,to sizzle then add mixture,perfect,my other favourite by choice is bacon sarnie,white bread,with hendos sprinkled on the top,also woodseats fisheries chips/fish with scraps cooked in dripping,please note there are other chippies that cook in dripping.

What times the Puddings ready Bassett, i'm on my way.

 

used to frequent the Big Tree when it was Brewburgers and Aussie's on Ecclesall road (Tesco's). 

 

Happy Daze

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Rockers rule said:

What times the Puddings ready Bassett, i'm on my way.

 

used to frequent the Big Tree when it was Brewburgers and Aussie's on Ecclesall road (Tesco's). 

 

Happy Daze

eyup Rockers do you remember Tony's chip shop at the top of club garden road  a big bag of mix which was chips,scraps and mushy pea's on top and all for a tanner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

X